Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asif786

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
Hey guys,

I visit a fair few vB forums and most of them have the 'Quick Reply' mod added - that's the one where there's a little box on the bottom of every thread page and you can just type a reply and hit enter - there's no option of BBCode/HTML etc, it's designed to be quick and easy.

Is there any chance of you guys adding it here? I think it would be a much-loved addition :)

--Asif

asif786

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
edesignuk said:
It's not a mod, just a setting the admin can enable/disable from the AdminCP ;)

Ah right, vb3 must have made it a setting - I must be thinking of vB 2

Anyway, that's all the more reason to turn it on! :D

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
*wonders about a quick response box that doesn't allow the words "free" or "iPod" in posts....*

In other forums I've gone to, it's been really nice. But based on the topics those forums were about, spamming wasn't as much an issue....

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Mudbug said:
we've got it turned off because it makes it far too easy to spam. It's there, but it's off.

But you also have the spam filter on at like 30 seconds me thinks.

Quick Reply is good, fast, simple, and saves bandwidth.

If all I want to do is direct a user to a website, I don't need a new reply page.

If Not I'll always just remember I have the ROLF Copter:
roflcopter.gif

:rolleyes:

XIII

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2004
England
How have iPL, and numerous others done OK with this setting turned on then? Its SO much easier to reply with, and this is one thing that bugs me around here...

Please..? :)

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
The main reason I didn't turn it on is because of threading.

With the current system, you hit "quote" to reply to a particular post in the thread. This enables the system to track threads. (see Display Mode -> Threaded View)

If people enable Quick Replay, you either lose this threading (since you can't tell who people are replying to)...

OR

You have to force the person to click on the post they are "quick replying" to... which is a confusing system and defeats the purpose of quick replay.

That's why it's not on.
arn

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
I prefer it turned off. Guess I'm a bit old-fashioned :)

And MrMacman, thanks for that roflcopter, I've been casually looking for it for a while to add to my large collection of animated gifs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.