PDA

View Full Version : A little help needed: Apple/Marketing paper

Sweetfeld28
Nov 27, 2004, 11:14 AM
I have to write a small paper on a company and describe how the company promotes its self. For the paper i have chosen to use Apple Computer, but can only really think of a couple of ways in which i have seen them promote themselves. The first would be TV commercials, then magazine ADs.

What i need to know is, is there any other ways that i am not thinking of, in which Apple promotes its self, or it products? BTW, i also need to be able to provide examples of ADs, and such, in the paper. So if you could provide some examples that would be a big help.

I have to try and find examples of the five P's of Marketing. Product, Price, Production, Promotion, and Placement.

Thanks for your help!

rdowns
Nov 27, 2004, 11:48 AM
I have to write a small paper on a company and describe how the company promotes its self. For the paper i have chosen to use Apple Computer, but can only really think of a couple of ways in which i have seen them promote themselves. The first would be TV commercials, then magazine ADs.

What i need to know is, is there any other ways that i am not thinking of, in which Apple promotes its self, or it products? BTW, i also need to be able to provide examples of ADs, and such, in the paper. So if you could provide some examples that would be a big help.

I have to try and find examples of the five P's of Marketing. Product, Price, Production, Promotion, and Placement.

Thanks for your help!

TV and magazine ads are a good place to start. How about product placement in movies and TV? Macs pop up all over the place. Virginia Tech X Serve cluster, recent Staples white paper. Just search Apple's site, lots of examples.

Unless, of course, you are looking for us to write it.

Sweetfeld28
Nov 27, 2004, 11:52 AM
No, i don't need you to write it; unless you want to. Hah. No, i was just getting stumped on what else it is that they do to promote themselves that all.

superbovine
Nov 27, 2004, 06:13 PM
their conferences, and how they introduce their products. also the apple community.

mcadam
Nov 27, 2004, 08:12 PM
Apples strategy for promoting itself goes far beyond mere advertisement and branding. They have always been super design conscious. Both in the sense that they attempt to the most beautiful machines on the market, and in the way they keep innovating how to use a computer. This is also true for their software. iMac, iBook, iPod, iLife. Now, just look at a mac and compare it to any other computer it might be standing next to in a shop and it clearly stands out. Where 90% of pc laptops are made of black plastic apple has chosen white. It's simple, beautiful and in a contrasting color.

By doing this they also market their products towards a particular (trendsetting) segment of consumers, who are more design conscious and have more money. There will always be this group of people for apple to rely on.

A final observation is the way the iPod, which reaches a somewhat wider audience, has become an advertisement for apples computers. Both on the level of people who have bought an iPod them self, but also from the fact that you see the easely recognisable earphones all over town. And very importantly by all the free media coverage and hype this innovative product has attracted.

In short - apples best advertisement is their products them self :D

Hm, guess I just had an inspired moment. Or maybe it's because I spend the better part of yesterday night discussing mac vs pc with some friends.

Anyway, this is where my 2 euro cents runs out (but as you see, they last you quite a bit longer these days, hehe)

A

Sweetfeld28
Nov 29, 2004, 06:30 PM
Thanks guys, for all of your help!

I think i have enough info now, i just need to provide some pictures of some of Apple promotion material. I think i should be able to find enough PR stuff from their site: apple.com/pr

thanks

StrongBad
Nov 29, 2004, 07:44 PM
the apple stores are nothing but live billboards

jsalzer
Nov 29, 2004, 08:05 PM
Well, depending on how far back you wan to go:

During the "Think Different" campaign, they had a billboard (er - a side of a building painted) in downtown Chicago - and probably other large cities.

There's the whole idea that if you rule market share in education, you win over as customers those who go through education (which is everyone). It's long-term marketing, and it hasn't worked, but the thought was (is?) there.

I hope you're going to discuss how much their marketing sucks. When you have the better system, you tell people. If I weren't a Mac guy, I'm not even sure I'd know they existed, let alone one simple piece of evidence that they're better. ;)

cheekyspanky
Nov 29, 2004, 08:22 PM
I remember reading about how many articles are written about the iPod in newspapers and magazines - about it being a cultural phenomenon and so on, these articles money (usually) can't buy - and they are much more persuasive than an advert can be on its own.

Also the value of Apples customers/fans is a huge asset - the value of free advertising this group generates must be astronomical. People who have been convinced to buy an Apple, then after using the product congratulate themselves on their choice - then go off and tell everyone that will listen how great the products are act as walking talking adverts - who are often very convincing when friends or relatives are asking for advice.

Also, using unique design such as the white earbuds and glowing Apple logo on notebooks brings the brand into the publics imagination - seeing the earbuds raises interest and deep down everyone wants to be popular and part of a trend, so after reading some of those previously mentioned articles and confirming that yes, you can buy cool, they go off and buy an iPod then continue this same idea to everyone who hasn't been convinced as yet..!

Being regarded as a small company that is the underdog to Microsoft no doubt also helps to generate positive feelings toward Apple as well.

Product:
Unique design, iconic status, seen as class leading in many cases.

Price:
High prices generate an immediate image of high quality and exclusivity, high prices for aftermarket care generate the assumption of good service even if you never use it. Being higher priced means you place a greater importance on the product and take greater care of it, meaning it stays in good condition and works as an advert for the company in itself - in terms of style and often longevity. Price skimming works to ensure that the products are initially bought by people with large disposable incomes - often people who have a nice car, a good house etc..which by relation adds a value to the product as it can be seen as something aspirational and highly desirable - something worth splashing that extra money on.

Promotion:
Immediately obvious adverts appealing to the senses, using bright colours and rhythm, and a contrasting theme of black and white to highlight the product - as well as to show the product using the bare minimum of words which often encourages you to find out more about the product yourself. Apple Stores that work as a tool to highlight Apples business ideals - excellent products, excellent design etc, and a shop on the high street is approachable to the masses - they don't have to look for it, its just there waiting for them to enter and have an impression cast upon them by the atmosphere/adverts/range of equipment/well informed staff/nice music etc - Apple stores are supposed to "hug you" as you enter them remember.

Placement:
As a product that can be regarded as cool, one of the most important groups for Apple to have their products seen with are celebrities. iPods were given out at The Golden Globes (or similar) and I'm sure other celebrities that fit in with Apples targeted demographic are often given freebies - which again, by relation, the products get some of the kudos associated with the person they are with. I've seen in the press Halle Berry, Ronan Keating, Scarlett Johansson, 50 Cent etc with iPods and this again is a walking advert as people wish to emulate their favourite celebrity - and if a person should be able to afford the best it can be regarded that they will have the best (even if they didnt have to pay for it) so again this can enhance the products image and convince the ordinary person in the street to consider one if they hadn't been affected by any of the other means of advertising/promotion.

I hope this helps a bit..

:)