Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Worst iPod Ever Made

• iPod 1st Gen (Scroll Wheel)

Votes: 17 4.1%
  • iPod 1st Gen (Touch Wheel)

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • iPod Mini

Votes: 29 7.1%
  • iPod (Click Wheel)

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • iPod U2 Edition

Votes: 27 6.6%
  • iPod Photo

Votes: 20 4.9%
  • iPod Shuffle

Votes: 41 10.0%
  • iPod (Color Display)

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • iPod U2 Edition (Color Display)

Votes: 12 2.9%
  • iPod Nano

Votes: 19 4.6%
  • iPod 5th Gen

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • iPod 5th Gen U2 Edition

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • iPod Shuffle 2nd Gen

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • iPod Nano 2nd Gen

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • iPod 5th Gen (late 06')

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • iPod 5th Gen U2 Edition (late 06')

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • iPod Nano 3rd Gen

Votes: 46 11.2%
  • iPod Classic (80gb/160gb)

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • iPod touch

Votes: 14 3.4%
  • iPod touch 2nd Gen

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • iPod touch 3rd Gen (32gb/64gb)

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • iPod Nano 4th Gen

• iPod Classic (120gb)

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • iPod Shuffle 3rd Gen

Votes: 127 31.0%
  • iPod Nano 5th Gen

Votes: 11 2.7%
  • iPod Classic (160gb)

• Total voters

AppleMactablet

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2010
Every great product even the Apple iPod has had its downfalls, in this Poll you decide which is the "Worst iPod Ever Made", Pick your ipod and in the comments leave you reasons why you picked that ipod.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
I think you're missing the 3rd gen iPod, with the four buttons across the top.
Also, you're confusing the 1st gen with the jog wheel and the 2nd gen with the touch wheel.

I hated the 5th gen iPod, as it's just.... ugly, but otherwise unremarkable. I also think it's the beginning of the end of Apple industrial design. After the 4th gen, everything just seemed to get unnaturally thin and flat and shiny.

AppleMactablet

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2010
I did miss the 3rd Gen ipod with the four buttons with touch sensitive wheel

But the 1st gen ipod 5/10gb came with a mechanical scroll wheel and the 2nd Gen came with a touch wheel,still with buttons around the wheel as the poll showed

cherry su

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2008
3rd Gen iPod shuffle. Relying on the inline buttons on the earphone is very clumsy during exercise and basically any activity. The earbuds are too loose and easily fall off when any bit of force is applied to the headphone cord.

mcnicks

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2006
Another black mark against the 3rd gen Shuffle: they changed the way the inline buttons work so buttons on old third party headphones won't work.

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
3rd gen shuffle. Sometimes there is such a thing as "too small". I've never seen the 3rd gen (or "4th" gen) available on the Apple refurb store. However, when a batch of 2nd gens hit the refurb store-- bar the doors, Katie!

saxon48

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2010
Barad-dûr
Original Shuffle, yucky design in my opinion.

Why the hell did people vote for the original scroll wheel iPod as the worst one ever? It's darn sexy.

you39

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2010
3rd Gen iPod shuffle. Relying on the inline buttons on the earphone is very clumsy during exercise and basically any activity. The earbuds are too loose and easily fall off when any bit of force is applied to the headphone cord.

Ha. I'd love to hear the designers who swapped the beloved 2G cash cow for this crap whitewash their epic failure.

instaxgirl

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Edinburgh, UK
I can't believe I voted for the first gen touch and forgot that idiotic 3rd gen shuffle.

More than anything else I'm intrigued to see what happens to that in September.

I can't believe someone voted for my beloved iPod mini - that thing is a tank. AND it came with a very useful and stylish :)p) belt clip.

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
The public has spoken and people are right - the 3rd generation iPod Shuffle is ridiculous. For jogging, I used to use a 2nd generation Shuffle, until I bought a couple of Creative Zen Stones. Now I use them in the cars, for jogging and the gym. You can change directories - why Apple didn't think about this? 1 or 2 GB is a lot for songs - it is enough for several albums and playlists.

Also, with these basic music players, you cannot beat drag and drop.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
IMHO the first iPod nano was one of the worst constructed Apple products I have ever seen. The iPod has a history of being built like a tank and the nano was the first iPod that broke that rule. Remember the hairline scratches problems? You put the iPod in your pocket, walk for a bit. Take it out. And it is FULL of hairline scratches.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
Worst for usability - Shuffle 3G (where are the controls, man?)

Worst for durability - iPod Nano 1G (scratch, scratch, scratch)

Worst for audio - iPod Mini 1G and 2G (music never sounded so bad)

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
3rd gen shuffle. Sometimes there is such a thing as "too small". I've never seen the 3rd gen (or "4th" gen) available on the Apple refurb store. However, when a batch of 2nd gens hit the refurb store-- bar the doors, Katie!

Yeah! That was me.
I ordered a 3rd gen shuffle without much thought or research. Oops. I sent it back and waited for 2nd gen refurbs. I kept missing my chance. I had to resort to refurbme to notify me. Finally the color I wanted came in while I was out to dinner with my Wife for our anniversary. I was like, "wait! I've got to buy this now!" I stopped all conversation to order the shuffle right then and there so I wouldn't miss it again. My wife was a little bemused and would have gotten mad but she hadn't actually gotten me anything.

Sure the 2nd gen is a bit bigger and uglier than the 3rd. But it is, well, actually usable.

CTU Kyoto

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2006
London
Worst: 3G iPod with separate touch buttons and touch wheel. Impossible to use in your pocket without taking it out! It was my first iPod, so I didn't mind too much at first, but after getting a click wheel one I couldn't go back.

I really don't get the hate for the 3G shuffle though. I've owned every generation of shuffle and loved them all, and I'm really happy with my 3G. It's worth it for playlist support alone, which allows you to keep, say, both podcasts and a workout playlist on the iPod and listen to whatever your mood dictates.

I do hate Apple earbuds, though, as (quite apart from the sound quality) they don't stay in my ears and the control is hard to grab while exercising. So I got the Belkin control dongle, which is not only placed more logically to allow easy control, but works with my iPhone too, allowing me to use decent headphones with both devices.

minik

macrumors demi-god
Jun 25, 2007
somewhere
Worst for usability - Shuffle 3G (where are the controls, man?)

Worst for durability - iPod Nano 1G (scratch, scratch, scratch)

Worst for audio - iPod Mini 1G and 2G (music never sounded so bad)

I had the iPod nano 1st gen and I thought it's the best iPod ever. When I first holding it, I kept telling to myself what if it's a phone. Yes, the screen was tiny tho and mine didn't scratch.

Labaguette

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2010
Good ol' Germany
i like the colors - i made my personal Black with red click wheel but a normal backside :) teaming up with certain bands is completely useless, nobody who loves the colors of this iPod would buy it when he/she hates U2 :p

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
2007 160GB needs to be separated from the 80GB, that thing is the biggest piece of garbage, if you actually use 80% of the capacity the thing is nearly non-functional. I voted for the 2007 classic, not only was the 160GB nearly non functional when approaching 80% capacity, the 2007 classics were nearly unusable for about 6 months because of the poorest firmware I've ever seen from apple. Initially coverflow was unuseable, playing games would reset play counts/ratings, iPod Classic would lose all information [ratings/playcounts] if it reset itself, the iTunes software was simply awful at the time in which it would freeze up about every minute then suddenly start working again.

2007 iPod Touch was gimmicky at best, still had iPhone errors with its original firmware. Playback of music was iffy initially some songs would play for 2 seconds then suddenly skip to the next song.

2007 was the year that Apple ultimately disappointed me and has since stopped me cold for EVER ordering new products from them right out the gate. Sadly they've continued the trend of releasing buggy products and using the public to test their products without having any quality control what so ever. There is no way they even bothered to turn on the 2007 classic when they released it, I couldn't see how any company could have even thought that crap was acceptable.

iPod Nano 1st gen was the worst sounding iPod I've owned, holy FLAT...2nd gen nano was also pretty flat.

I know the 3rd gen shuffle gets a lot of flack, but as a owner of one it has been functioning just fine for my particular needs. The sound improvement over the 2nd gen shuffle does actually make it hard for me to go back to my 2nd gen. Definitely could see how this would piss off some people though considering the stock buds don't fit optimally in 90% of the population. Very poor value to cost ratio too, for $20 more bucks you can get a refurb 8GB nano 5th gen with double the capacity,screen, video support, camera, and click wheel games.

jahall

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2010
The 3rd gen iPod Shuffle, by far. What the hay are you supposed to do when those headphones break and you just have a regular set around and you can't get to the nearest store to drop another $40 on headphones?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.