Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brasskey

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
All of a sudden, my Macbook won't charge. When I plug in the magsafe adapter, it doesn't light up and the computer doesn't recognize that the power adapter is connected. I've tried other electrical outlets to make sure it's not an external problem, so I'm stuck with either a power adapter problem or something with the computer itself. Below I pasted my battery and AC specs before my computer completely dies. I'm not in a city with an Apple store so I can't easily go have it checked out. Does this sound like a charger problem? A magsafe problem? Something else? Thanks.

Model Information:

Manufacturer: SMP
Device name: bq20z951
Pack Lot Code: 0000
PCB Lot Code: 0000
Firmware Version: 002a
Hardware Revision: 000a
Cell Revision: 0100
Charge Information:
Charge remaining (mAh): 1141
Fully charged: No
Charging: No
Full charge capacity (mAh): 3808
Health Information:
Cycle count: 264
Condition: Good
Battery Installed: Yes
Amperage (mA): -1173
Voltage (mV): 11085

System Power Settings:

AC Power:
System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 0
Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 15
Automatic Restart On Power Loss: No
Wake On AC Change: No
Wake On Clamshell Open: Yes
Wake On LAN: Yes
Display Sleep Uses Dim: Yes
Battery Power:
System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 60
Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 15
Wake On AC Change: No
Wake On Clamshell Open: Yes
Display Sleep Uses Dim: Yes
Reduce Brightness: Yes

Hardware Configuration:

UPS Installed: No

AC Charger Information:

Connected: No
Charging: No

Xenophon

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2010
New Delhi, India
It's not the battery. Check your magsafe connector (look if all the pins extend to the same length), then check the magsafe port on your mac and see if it's clean.

If it's not a stuck pin/dirty port and the LED is not on then in all likelihood you'll need a new charger. Just take it in, along with your mac's serial #.

eman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2007
In the great white north
Your battery cycle count is not that high, so that's good. Can you borrow a charger from another macbook or macbook pro and try it on your macbook, this should isolate the problem to the charger or macbook. If your charger is bad and you don't have anymore warranty, go to greedbay and order another charger. A non OEM charger is about $17 shipped on greedbay (ebay).

brasskey

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
Thanks for the help. I will try to track down another power adapter from a friend to see if that's the problem.

zildjansg

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2010
Since the thread starter's topic is about charging his aluminum macbook, just curious, does the magsafe adaptor of my non unibody macbook white 1.83hhz possible with my macbook aluminum?:confused:

Thanks

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
Since the thread starter's topic is about charging his aluminum macbook, just curious, does the magsafe adaptor of my non unibody macbook white 1.83hhz possible with my macbook aluminum?:confused:

Thanks

I believe all 13" matchbooks use the 60w MagSafe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.