PDA

View Full Version : connecting old G3 iBook

ur2punk
Nov 27, 2004, 07:07 PM
I couldn't find the original Airport card for the old G3 iBook in Japan. I have setup a wireless network (using Linksys WRT54G) for the PCs in the house.

I would like to also setup this old G3 iBook so it can connect to the WRT54G (broadband router/AP).

What are my options since the original Airport card that'll fit this G3 iBook seems AWOL <g>? Can I use the new squarish(?) Airport, connect that to the RJ45 on the iBook & bridge it to the WRT54G --- seems like not possible when I read the box at a store in Tokyo but I don't know :confused:

I'm not too familiar as to what options there are on the Mac side. Also in Japan seems like not all 3rd party peripherals (I saw available state-side when surfing for solutions) are available.

Thanks.

rdowns
Nov 27, 2004, 07:26 PM
Ask an Apple Service Provider to order one for you through Apple Service Parts. If that isn't an option, your best bet is a USB wireless adapter.

5300cs
Nov 27, 2004, 07:50 PM
How's your Japanese? Have you tried asking a shop assistant if they have any Mac-compatible WiFi cards? I know they're out there, I've seen them before. Usually at computer shops that have Mac stuff, right near where they sell AirMac cards they have cards from other 3rd party companies.

Failing that, do you have an old Airport basestation (the grey one)? If you do and aren't using it, you can take it apart and use the WiFi card that's in there.

Good luck

winwintoo
Nov 27, 2004, 08:08 PM
A D-Link DWL-122 USB adapter will work with a WRT54G.

There are a couple of challenges with it. Do a Google for DWL-122 and you'll find a few forums where folks have solved the problems. In fact I think I've posted on here about it.

One thing for to be aware of, plug it directly into a USB port on the computer, not a USB hub. It will fry a hub for some reason and the drivers that come with it don't work, you need to download different drivers.

If you decide to go that route, let me know and I'll try to locate the links for you.

But first see if you can get an Apple repair depot to order a card as a part.

Margaret

asif786
Nov 28, 2004, 03:54 AM
Hi,

In the UK, I've seen an adapter that lets you use a new Airport Extreme card in an old-style airport slot.

The adapter will plug into your new airport extreme card, and then you can plug it into your g3 ibook. I dont know if the speed is 11 or 54 mbit though..

From what I recall the adapter is around 20 ($35 usd)

/asif

ur2punk
Nov 28, 2004, 09:39 AM
Everyone,

Thank you for your two cents (yens <g>). I now have leads as to what to look for tomorrow when I hit Akihabara (town chock full of electrnoics stores).

The service depot idea is a good one - if I can't find any before I head back stateside I'll try to call them. That mysterious "adapter" is very interesting too :D

Again, thanks all for your ideas. I definitely am thinking that there's a way - one way or another.

Robert