Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Magaman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2009
Well my new 6 core MP is on it's way. I want to pack out the drive-bays. I will be doing quite a bit of HD capturing via a Blackmagic Intensity Pro card. I'm curious if anyone has captured via this card, and what Hard Drive you are using and if you have a Raid0 set-up, since it's suggested by Blackmagic.

I'm looking at WD Caviar Black 1TB drives, or Seagate Barracuda 1TB drives. I hear people have had issue with the WD's being DOA, kicking quickly, and not liking raid, though there are those who have no issues as well.

Erendiox

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2004
Brooklyn NY
I dislike WD drives in general. WD has a pretty bad track record as far as their failure rate. Would recommend Seagate, Hitatchi, or Toshiba drives.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
It all depends on what codec you are capturing in. DVCPro HD can be handled by a 7200RPM drive via FW400 where as Uncompressed HD is going to need a big, fast RAID.

From what I've read some of the newest WD drives (it might just be the 'green' drives) might have problems w/RAID because of the on-board data correction scheme used. As far as failures go all the major manufacturers (Hitachi, WD, Seagate, etc.,) have ups and downs. For work I've purchased over 100 HDDs over the last 2yrs or so (a mix of Hitachi, WD, and Seagate) and the only problem I've run into is w/the Seagate firmware problem last year. Anecdotal, I know, so take it for what it's worth. Also, this is just for bare drives, I wouldn't recommend any of the off-the-shelf FW/USB drives they put out (ex. WD MyBook). For external drives I'd recommend companies like G-Technology and CalDigit because they make better enclosures. If you buy multiple drives I'd suggest to buy from more than one company so that decreases the chance of a bad batch of drives ruining your weekend.

Lethal

matteusclement

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2008
victoria
WD blacks

I have all WD blacks and they are EPIC. Owned about a dozen black series and not one failure.
The WD greens are the biggest pieces of crap ever. Owned 6, 2 failed in a month.

Seagate has also been an epic fail for me. They do NOT like heat.

joaoferro37

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
Vogon Planet Destructor
It all depends on what codec you are capturing in. DVCPro HD can be handled by a 7200RPM drive via FW400 where as Uncompressed HD is going to need a big, fast RAID.

From what I've read some of the newest WD drives (it might just be the 'green' drives) might have problems w/RAID because of the on-board data correction scheme used. As far as failures go all the major manufacturers (Hitachi, WD, Seagate, etc.,) have ups and downs. For work I've purchased over 100 HDDs over the last 2yrs or so (a mix of Hitachi, WD, and Seagate) and the only problem I've run into is w/the Seagate firmware problem last year. Anecdotal, I know, so take it for what it's worth. Also, this is just for bare drives, I wouldn't recommend any of the off-the-shelf FW/USB drives they put out (ex. WD MyBook). For external drives I'd recommend companies like G-Technology and CalDigit because they make better enclosures. If you buy multiple drives I'd suggest to buy from more than one company so that decreases the chance of a bad batch of drives ruining your weekend.

Lethal

I hope you surf this form and find out how terrible CalDigit is.
I am a consultant and I sued to sell a lot of CalDigit.
EPIC FAILURE product, over priced junk and never deliver its promise.
Their tech support are good people but the person run the company is a liar.
Check with NanoFrog, we both got very bad experience with CalDigit.

Magaman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2009
As someone said, I'm looking for bare drives, while I have used WD externals(knock on wood) and have had no issues, I would only use them for back-up purposes.

I don't foresee the need to captured uncompressed HD.
These are the drives I'm looking at:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136284

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148433

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145287

And while I gave newegg links, I might buy elsewhere as it seems these are all OEM and there are a lot of people very unhappy about how newegg ships these.

matteusclement

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2008
victoria
+1 WD black

again, I have that 1TB WD black and it's stinking fast. Love it. I have two in raid and I get a great performance bump, and that's just software raid.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.