Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimmydonc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2004
I know this is possible on a PC, but every audio card I look at closely says its impossible on a mac. (let me know if I am wrong please!!!)

I want to record into my computer 4 tracks of audio at one. on a PC you would use a card such as a "delta 44" in conjunction with a program like cubase to do this. But I took a close look at the owners manual for the delta 44 and it seems to imply you can only record 2 tracks in (or one set of stereo) at a time.

You see I have old "4 track" tapes I want to edit on the mac, but due to the fact that they are analogue, they never record at exactly the same speed twice so I cant record into my computer 2 sets of 2 tracks and sync em up (believe me Ive tried!!)
check out my diagram if you are confused about what i want to do:
http://angryjim.com/storage/audioimpossible.jpg

HEELLLLLLLP!!

MacFan25863

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
Well, could you get 2 Delta 44's, therefore recording 2 tracks on each and 4 tracks total?

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
4 tracks of audio input (impossible on mac?)

This depends entirely on the audio interface and the speed at which it can transmit to the machine.

If it is a USB interface, the streaming rate of USB 1.1 is too slow to support 4 channels of audio, no matter what OS. Get a Firewire based interface or a Mac-compatible PCI card interface that is rated for 4 channels in. It's not the Mac that is the problem, here.

Off the top of my head, these companies all have firewire 4 or more channel interfaces

M-Audio
Edirol
Digidesign (Digi002, Digi002R)

Macintouch has a thread on audio interfaces http://www.macintouch.com/audiorecord4.html#nov26

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
OSXaudio.com

Check this forum out.

There are many interfaces for the mac that will take you up to and beyond 24 physical inputs, MOTU's 2408, 828 and 896 boxes are pricey but excellent, M-audio do some very nice little firewire boxes, Digidesign have some of the best but are pro-level (generally) and are very expensive.

Keep an eye out for the (discontinued) 6-2 interface from Logic as well.

You will need 3rd party software as well, as none of the standard Apple apps will record over 2 track similtaneously, I'd suggest Logic Express and an M-audio FW 410 as a good place to start.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.