Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iSarah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2006
hey,

basically my local supermarket is having a clearout of all their electronics, and they have 2 faulty ipod touchs left, selling for £60 each. if i bought one of these, would i be able to take it to the apple store to be fixed/replaced? i've only ever bought my ipods from the apple store before now, but i assume the ipod touch would have the same warranty as an ipod bought from an apple store?

any advice would be greatly appreciated,

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
hey,

basically my local supermarket is having a clearout of all their electronics, and they have 2 faulty ipod touchs left, selling for £60 each. if i bought one of these, would i be able to take it to the apple store to be fixed/replaced? i've only ever bought my ipods from the apple store before now, but i assume the ipod touch would have the same warranty as an ipod bought from an apple store?

any advice would be greatly appreciated,

If it's brand new, how do they know it's faulty? I'd assume brand new would mean it's still sealed in the box.

iSarah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2006
If it's brand new, how do they know it's faulty? I'd assume brand new would mean it's still sealed in the box.

because people have bought them, they haven't worked so have taken them back. i suppose you're right, they're not exactly brand new but they haven't been used as they were found to be faulty.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
Sounds like it wouldn't be feasible to have Apple fix it or replace it as a warrantee item. Whatever store this is should have a system themselves for returning faulty items to Apple, unless they aren't an authorized seller of Apple products (and I don't know of a grocery store chain that is). If they aren't authorized, I'd ask myself where they got iPod touches to sell in the first place.

iSarah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2006
Sounds like it wouldn't be feasible to have Apple fix it or replace it as a warrantee item. Whatever store this is should have a system themselves for returning faulty items to Apple, unless they aren't an authorized seller of Apple products (and I don't know of a grocery store chain that is). If they aren't authorized, I'd ask myself where they got iPod touches to sell in the first place.

why would it not be feasible for them to replace/fix it, would it not be covered under an apple warranty? also, does it matter if they aren't authorised sellers? its a pretty big supermarket chain (morrisons), they definitely aren't cheap ipod knockoffs so what would be the problem?

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
why would it not be feasible for them to replace/fix it, would it not be covered under an apple warranty? also, does it matter if they aren't authorised sellers? its a pretty big supermarket chain (morrisons), they definitely aren't cheap ipod knockoffs so what would be the problem?

I don't know. The only true test would be to buy one and then try it out. I just was pointing out that any store that sells a product, first buys that product. If it's returned to their store for being D.O.A., they should have a system in place for returning said items to the manufacturer to get credit themselves. I find it strange that a store would sell a new product, have it returned, and then just put it out on a clearance shelf instead of returning them to wherever they bought them from to get credit back themselves.

Maybe it's easier for them to sell the duds for less money, I have no idea.

Again, the only true test is to buy one and try it out. Just wanted to share my logical thoughts about it.

liamkp

macrumors 68020
May 29, 2010
Like skiltrip said, if it was under warranty then they probably would have returned them themselves. But i cant think of a reason why i wouldnt be under warranty, and since it is D.O.A. then if it does have a warranty part of it might be over.

If that doesnt work you could sell it for parts on eBay or something. Im not sure if youll gain anything or not, as i am not sure what they are running for. You might check and see if you can make a profit. :)

EllieV

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010
Check to see if it's covered on an apple warranty. if not, then hop on craigslist, and get someone to fix it for ≈ $20. Then hope back on craigslist, and sell it for a little less than retail. BAM! PROFIT! IPOD TOUCH 4 MONEY!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.