PDA

View Full Version : New version of AIM for Mac OS X

bousozoku
Aug 20, 2002, 08:34 PM
Version 4.5.794 is available now. It's got more of an Aqua feel to it. Apparently, the Check for upgrade version won't find it, so you need to go to http://www.aim.com/

cleo
Aug 20, 2002, 09:10 PM
... or get Adium (http://www.adiumx.com)

dricci
Aug 20, 2002, 09:15 PM
I'm liking the new version, much better UI. Now someone needs to release a no ad patch and it'll be perfect til Saturday when I get iChat with Jaguar :D

Just say No to 3rd Party TOC Clients!

kungfu
Aug 20, 2002, 09:22 PM
i'm suprised that aol is continuing to develop aim for mac... ichat is so much better (and it has no ads). i guess there are definitely a few things missing from ichat though... buddy icon in ichat definitely needs works, you can't even use one thats animated. I guess that has something to do with the fact that its integrated with the address book.

mac15
Aug 20, 2002, 09:26 PM
you all need adium, its way better than ichat

sparkleytone
Aug 20, 2002, 09:49 PM
cant file xfer or use @mac.com with adium.

whfsdude
Aug 20, 2002, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by sparkleytone
cant file xfer or use @mac.com with adium.

Nope :-( only iChat can be used with .Mac

mnkeybsness
Aug 21, 2002, 12:40 AM
i don't understand why you want to fuss about a .mac screen name so much...can't you just sign up the same name with aim? and then use it in whatever program you want? why all the complaining?

firewire2001
Aug 21, 2002, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by whfsdude

Nope :-( only iChat can be used with .Mac

actually.. you can use aol's client to log on as .Mac...

my mac is in for repairs (my pbg4....).. so i cant really test it..

is it any more responsive? i find this to be the most freakin obnoxious part about aim's client is that it isnt very responsive -- the pc version and iChat are.. though they both have their disadvantages.. ;)

Wes
Aug 21, 2002, 02:25 AM
AOL are trying to steal ichats thunder if you asked me.

dricci
Aug 21, 2002, 02:31 AM
Why would AOL want to take away iChat's spotlight? They are in a very good relationship with Apple right now, much better than their relationship with Microsoft. This is probably a reason why AOL and Apple want to stick together.

I'm guessing this release was just to fix bugs for people who don't wish to switch to iChat.. Having choices is good.

Wes
Aug 21, 2002, 02:53 AM
Even if they are in a good relationship, wouldn't AOL rather promote their own product? Are Apple paying to use the AIM service?

bousozoku
Aug 21, 2002, 06:19 AM
AOL is most likely going to take whatever money they can get whether it's from advertisements or Apple. Guess what's not going to be free next?

mnkeybsness
Aug 21, 2002, 09:45 AM
ADIUM??!!!

what a bunch of crap...first of all it was butt ugly...there was no friendly UI there at all

secondly there were barely any options or settings for it...especially with text colors...i couldn't even find the buddy icon section...is there one?

and lastly, it's just plain confusing all around...

i give it an 'F'

i will just stick with the ads in AIM until i can try iChat when jaguar comes to my front door