Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
I know this might sound crazy but is it possible for dust to get under a screen protector after it's been installed? I'm noticing several pieces of dust under my SGP Ultra Oleophobic and they were not there before. I remember having one of two specs of dust under it when I first installed it but now I'm seeing at least 4 or 5.

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
it was there the whole time...remove the protector, wash it, clean the screen better and reapply

I really don't think so. I remember looking at the screen after I installed it and thinking that it looked great except for one spec of dust on the screen and one spec just off the screen. Now I have several specs on the screen and they were not there before.

diesel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2007
I really don't think so. I remember looking at the screen after I installed it and thinking that it looked great except for one spec of dust on the screen and one spec just off the screen. Now I have several specs on the screen and they were not there before.

Most likely there the whole time. I've noticed depending on lighting conditions you will not notice dust under the protector after installing. In certain lighting conditions you might notice dust that wasn't noticeable in a different setting, but it's safe to say it's always been there. And once your eyes catch that dust underneath, you'll begin to always see it.

If it's a static protector, i suggest run a little hot water in your tub in the bathroom so it gets a tad steamy (to keep dust from swirling in the air), then take some scotch tape, lift the edge closest to the dust, take a toothpick and try to snag the dust and remove. also, it goes without saying, don't do this anywhere near your tub/shower that might be wet.

Loves2spoon

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2010
California
Get a piece of scotch tape and lift up the corner, wrap another piece of scotch tape around your finger and remove the dust. Easy as pie :)

icecrystal23

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2010
Get a piece of scotch tape and lift up the corner, wrap another piece of scotch tape around your finger and remove the dust. Easy as pie :)

+1
This is much faster and easier than washing it and waiting for it to dry. Quick and easy. Just be careful not to get more dust in there ;)

waltercln

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2010
does this forum have tips on getting a perfect install, really wanna get it perfect. Never been great at adding SP, i always mess them up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.