PDA

View Full Version : Time capsule wired backup?

mpt-matthew
Aug 11, 2010, 04:10 PM
Can i do an initial backup via a wired connection to a time capsule?
Then if i know i will have a large backup (i.e. got a load of photos), can i connect to time capsule for quicker backup?

hfg
Aug 11, 2010, 04:57 PM
I have always done the initial backup of a new computer with a direct wired connection to my network and the time capsule. Subsequent incremental backups are then done over the wireless connection to the time capsule. Goes much faster that way with the large data backup!

-howard

mpt-matthew
Aug 11, 2010, 05:25 PM
I have always done the initial backup of a new computer with a direct wired connection to my network and the time capsule. Subsequent incremental backups are then done over the wireless connection to the time capsule. Goes much faster that way with the large data backup!

-howard
Thanks
Ok, so i am taking it you just plug a LAN cable from the time capsule into your mac and it recognises it.
Can it be done using UBS?
And why is there not apples own firewire 800 connection?

scubasteve03
Aug 11, 2010, 05:39 PM
Thanks
Ok, so i am taking it you just plug a LAN cable from the time capsule into your mac and it recognises it.
Can it be done using UBS?
And why is there not apples own firewire 800 connection?

Yes, the only wired backup option is using Ethernet. It would make much more sense if they used FW800 or at least had that option. Obviously all Apple computers do not have FW 800, so they probably chose to go with Ethernet for that reason.

skorpien
Aug 12, 2010, 01:29 AM
The only way to connect to Time Capsule's HDD is via AFP through the network, hence the need to connect via WiFi or Ethernet.

Time Machine backs up differently to directly connected HDDs (USB, FW, internal) than to networked drives. It copies file directly when connected directly, and it creates sparsebundle images on network attached drives.

If one were to network a drive that was once used as a Time Machine backup through USB/FW, they would need to start the backup from scratch as the two are not compatible.

Therefore, even if they included USB/FW connectivity, you would not be able to start a backup connected via USB/FW and continue it via Ethernet/WiFi (or vice versa).