Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cjbriare

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
You know how on old TVs, when the screen would go out, and you'd have to whack it a few times to get it to come up again?

(I'm only 15 how would I know that?)

Well, that's whats happening to my Plus. It will run fine for about 10 or 15 minutes, then just go black. After a few whacks, it would come up. But the simple action of inserting a floppy makes it go out, and even gently tapping on the side makes it flicker.

I opened it up and tightened the screw on the tube, (not sure if that would help) but, no luck.

But my dad says it just may be dusty.

Any suggestions?

madmax_2069

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2005
Springfield Ohio
You know how on old TVs, when the screen would go out, and you'd have to whack it a few times to get it to come up again?

(I'm only 15 how would I know that?)

Well, that's whats happening to my Plus. It will run fine for about 10 or 15 minutes, then just go black. After a few whacks, it would come up. But the simple action of inserting a floppy makes it go out, and even gently tapping on the side makes it flicker.

I opened it up and tightened the screw on the tube, (not sure if that would help) but, no luck.

But my dad says it just may be dusty.

Any suggestions?

It could be many things causing this, it could be bad caps (due to age), bad flyback, analog board, leaking Pram battery and so on.

but they was known for the bad caps and the failing analog board.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macintosh_Plus go to problems

cjbriare

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Actually, I did some testing just a few hours ago. I took the case off, and let it run until the screen went out. When that happened, i turned on a desk fan and pointed it at the open computer.

After just a few seconds, the screen sprang to life. And if i tapped it, it wouldn't flicker.

So.. i guess either I locate one of those fan accessories you put on the top of it, or have a fan pointed at it whenever i use it.

max¥¥

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
Over there....
i had a close look at the analog board on mine and the problem seems to be a couple of cracked solder joints on the connector between the analog board and the logic board and possibly a couple of cracked solder joints on the flyback

edit: i thought i would mention i have a small fan in one of the top corners of the case

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
From my experience from the "old days", this is probably a cracked solder joint on the multi-pin connector on the analog board.

Here is a pic of the white connector from the component side. Note that at one end a pin is skipped. The last pin on that end is usually the culprit for the entire screen going blank whilst the machine keeps running.

Last edited:

cjbriare

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Im sorry but Im not good when it comes to the electronic terms..

can anyone possibly tell me where to look exactly, and i can upload photos?

Maybe you can see the problem then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.