PDA

View Full Version : Does the iPod have value in education?

MacBytes
Nov 28, 2004, 12:38 PM
Category: Apple Hardware
Link: Does the iPod have value in education? (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20041128133834)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

bennetsaysargh
Nov 28, 2004, 03:18 PM
i've used my ipod for school a whole lot. print stuff that i work on at home, and video production class (we use imovie and FCP).

JeDiBoYTJ
Nov 28, 2004, 03:23 PM
I used my iPod to transfer my work and video-projects to and from my school

Abstract
Nov 28, 2004, 04:17 PM
It works as a portable HD, but no, it doesn't specifically have much value in education. Schools like Duke Uni who give it away expect their students to listen to lecture material on it or something, but lets face it, the iPod is just a free gift so that students can listen to music.

nagromme
Nov 28, 2004, 07:59 PM
Don't forget Museum Mode, which locks the iPod into a custom-designed audi-and-hypertext interface for any purpose. Audio's not always relevant to every topic of learning, but when it is, Museum Mode is a potentially powerful tool that entirely bypasses the usual music-library interface.

Earendil
Nov 29, 2004, 12:43 AM
I use my Mini and my powerbook to record myself speaking spanish vocab words, and there english meaning. I than play it back to myself as background "music" while I go about my day, and in emergencies, while sleeping at night.

It works sometimes too....

Yes, I *AM* tired of my own voice...

Tyler Z.

wrldwzrd89
Nov 29, 2004, 04:41 AM
Don't forget Museum Mode, which locks the iPod into a custom-designed audi-and-hypertext interface for any purpose. Audio's not always relevant to every topic of learning, but when it is, Museum Mode is a potentially powerful tool that entirely bypasses the usual music-library interface.
That's the first time I've heard anything about a "Museum Mode" in the iPod. Where could I find out more about Museum Mode?

mpw
Nov 29, 2004, 05:10 AM
If the texts I need to read for college were available as audio books I would buy an iPod today. As it is I'd like one for music but can't quite justify it.

I thought a while ago about sitting down with the texts and reading them to mp3's and selling them to my fellow students (I can't believe nobody's doing this already) but can't be bothered to sort out the licensing etc.

It's even consiveable that some texts that don't need emotion could be converted with text to speech.

Semi-education'ish; I'd also buy an iPod if audio books weren't so damn expensive.