Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

commerce

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2010
Hi guys,

I'm just wondering where you pick up games for the Mac? All the retail stores only sell games for PC.

Also, is steam any good for macs?

commerce

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2010
Stores normally have big discounts. Any way, do mac games tend to be more expensive then PC games?

AD7863

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2010
There are barely any games for Mac which is why I installed Windows with parallels and install games on that. Now I can play all Windows games aswell.

BertyBoy

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2009
I'm suprised that you can even find PC games in retail outlets. In the UK it's all PS3, Wii or XBox360.

For Mac games, keep a close watch on previews and reviews of offerings at some of the Mac Games sites, ie. http://www.insidemacgames.com/ or in your Mac magazines.
Then check for downloadable (or cover CD) demos. That way you avoid most of the bad games and buy the stuff you like.
Then buy from Amazon. Downloadable games are great, but nothing beats having the physical CD / DVD in your hand.
Avoid EA games, the anti-piracy measures are extremely annoying to those that actually buy the games. Only the pirates have ways round their anti-piracy measures, so ironically, they enjoy the game a lot more than if they'd paid for it.

Blair230

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2009
Near Philly
If you have a micro center near you, check them out. They usually have decent prices on mac games, sometimes even discounting them heavily. For example, I bought C&C 3: Red Alert for Mac for $14, and that was about 4 months ago.

Otherwise I check half.com or ebay. Usually have good prices there as well!

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
They are though! PC games usually are reduced in price after a few years while mac versions generally don't receive as heavy discounts, sometimes don't get discounted at all!

On a simo release, they are the same price, but what you are saying is true. I remember seeing 5 year old games in the Mac store for $40. :)

zao8350

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2009
mac games are a good bit more expensive. and they are generally late releases. steam would be your best bet just because it has valve games which are about the best games for mac i've seen. other good mac games (that are old) are XIII, alice, warcraft 3, fable, and quake 4. as far as EA games being annoying with their DRM, this is true. i just crack the games (not totally sure what MR thinks about that) but i bought the game so i'll play it with or without internet.

BertyBoy

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2009
On a simo release, they are the same price, but what you are saying is true. I remember seeing 5 year old games in the Mac store for $40. :)

I saw Diablo II in NZ at the start of the year for NZ$40, about £18 / US$30. Diablo II was 10 years old early this year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.