Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iJordz

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2010
Apples headphones always break for me.

So anyone know any good headphones what go good for the iPad for watching great high def movies and good quality music.

Kobra

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
Depends on what you want and how much you're willing to spend. The Apple headphones have a very thin and small sound, you can do much better than that. Here's a few recomendations to get you started:

Klipsch Image S4i: a very comfortable in-ear headphone (IEM), like the Apple offering these have a inline remote with microphone. Designed for use with iPhone or iPod. They have a strong and well defined bass, quite good soundstage that offers good separation of sounds. A bit warm in sound, some say dark. Good and solid built. Sells for about $99.

NuForce NE-7M: cheep, but very good sounding IEM. Beats much higher priced headphones in soundquality. Build quality is ok, but could have been better. Designed for the iPhone (remote and mic). Strong bass, big soundstage. Sounds brighter than the Klipsch. Sells for about $49.

NuForce UF-30: a light and comfortable over-the-ear headphone. Foldable and comes with a nice hardcase for transportation. Similar in sound to the NuForce NE-7M, but as these headphones are of a open design the sound is wider and more spacious. They don't isolate outside noise and people close to you will hear what you're listening on. These headphones puts much more expensive phones to shame. They sell for about $79.

Denon AH-D 1001: a light, closed over-the-ear headphone. Strong and well defined bass, with good clarity and a open sound (for a closed headphone). They isolate the outside noise and you will not disturb people around you. They are portable, but not foldable. They sell for about $120.

All headphones listed here will work just fine without the use of a headphone amplifier, but they will scale (sound better) well if used with one. I have all of them myself and I use them regurlarly (I also have many more, much more expensive ones for use with a proper Hi-Fi setup). Out of these I'd push for the NuForce UF-30 as they give a lot bang for the buck.

If you really want to dwell in to the world of headphones I recomed a visit to head-fi.org forums... Mind your wallet if you do so :)

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Any headphones/earphones out there that you like will do, really. It's not like iPads have different audio requirements than any other sound system.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.