PDA

View Full Version : Download you tube videos on iPad...Hurry,

cfs123
Aug 12, 2010, 06:22 AM
There is an app in the store titled Downloads HD. They have a lite and full version. The lite version allows you to keep 7 you tube videos on your iPad for offline viewing while the full version is unlimited. Full version is 2.99. Act now before it gets pulled.

gwynne
Aug 12, 2010, 06:41 AM
This has been in the app store for weeks. I'm not understanding why you think it would get pulled.

cfs123
Aug 12, 2010, 06:43 AM
This has been in the app store for weeks. I'm not understanding why you think it would get pulled.

Sorry. Because the last two that allowed one to do this were pulled. My bad. Ignore this post.

cfs123
Aug 12, 2010, 06:45 AM
Wouldn't normally post here but apps like this are useful and get pulled quick. I remember iwhoopie a while back being one of them. There is an app in the app store titled Downloads HD. There is a lite and full version. The app allows you to download you tube videos for later viewing offline. Tried it with two vids a lady and worked great.

Sorry forum, guess this app isn't a big deal. I was informed it's been here for weeks. Just thought all these apps got pulled usually. Sorry for the confusion. Ignore this post.

arctic
Aug 12, 2010, 06:46 AM
Interesting. Might be that the approval team hasn't noticed youtube downloads because it's not written in the description. I'm curious if anybody tried it and if really works. This was released July 13 and hasn't been pulled (yet).

cfs123
Aug 12, 2010, 06:51 AM
Interesting. Might be that the approval team hasn't noticed youtube downloads because it's not written in the description. I'm curious if anybody tried it and if really works. This was released July 13 and hasn't been pulled (yet).

Making a you tube library as I type this.

gwynne
Aug 12, 2010, 07:50 AM
I guess I'm just not aware of whatever developer rule this is violating. Is it the local saving of youtube videos that is prohibited?

cfs123
Aug 12, 2010, 08:16 AM
I guess I'm just not aware of whatever developer rule this is violating. Is it the local saving of youtube videos that is prohibited?

I have no idea myself.

Grolsch30
Aug 12, 2010, 08:51 AM
Silly question,

But how does it work?
I have downloaded this app but how do you download from YouTube or anywhere else for that matter?

cfs123
Aug 12, 2010, 09:10 AM
Silly question,

But how does it work?
I have downloaded this app but how do you download from YouTube or anywhere else for that matter?

1. Open the app

2. Type in a website, say you tube.com.

3. Get to a you tube video of your choice.

4. There is an arrow next to the space where you type in the web address. If you touch it it will have two menus, they will be bookmark and save current page. Click on save current page.

5. You will then see a number pop up on the icon with the down arrow. This is the download menu. Click on it to see your progress.

6. Only once the video is done you can watch it. To watch it go to file manager at the bottom of the screen. The screen will be blank except for an icon that reads my files. Touch it and your video will be there.

When you get enough ids you can put them in folders. Also I found out not all vids work. I have downloaded 20 ids from you tube but 3 would not start to download due to an error. Not a bad percentage I think.

Hope this helps.

Corsair.Noir
Aug 12, 2010, 09:53 AM
so other than mitube this is the only alternative to download you tube vids?

Grolsch30
Aug 12, 2010, 09:54 AM
Fantastic great, many thanks :D

cfs123
Aug 12, 2010, 10:18 AM
so other than mitube this is the only alternative to download you tube vids?

To the best of my knowledge , yes. It also webarchives sites for you, with the pictures in tact. Awsome app. Even the light version is good as it allows you to hold seven files at once.

http://www.geek.com/articles/mobile/apple-pulls-popular-youtube-downloader-from-the-app-store-2010085/

This article states that downloading you tube content for offline viewing is against Apples policy so I guess it's life will be limited so grab it now.

Corsair.Noir
Aug 12, 2010, 12:44 PM
any idea what file type it saves as? can you export to your desktop?

msduncan
Aug 12, 2010, 01:44 PM
I followed the instructions, but once in the My Files menu, they will not play.

Edit: Reboot fixed it.

uraniumwilly
Aug 12, 2010, 04:06 PM
[Fonzie with thumbs up emoticon here]

N2PVP
Aug 12, 2010, 06:37 PM
Great app it even let's you download PDFs and save them to iBooks.:D

SnowLeopard2008
Aug 12, 2010, 07:30 PM
This app has been around for a long time (relatively). I remember MiTube was removed within hours. Someone should create a website or something to track apps that escape the reviewing process and has features that violate Apple's terms. I missed out on Camera+. There is also an iPhone version (with Lite and Full versions).

cfs123
Aug 14, 2010, 09:34 AM
Been playing around with this app. Hands down one of the best out there. Beyond downloading YouTube and webpages for offline use you can also:

Passcode lock it.
Wifi file share.
And it has a computer type browser that does not render when multiple tabs are open. You can even import your Safari bookmarks to it.

0dev
Aug 14, 2010, 09:35 AM
I'm surprised it hasen't been pulled yet, actually. MiTube was pulled very quickly.

david77
Aug 14, 2010, 02:56 PM
This is one of the better apps for the iPad.

redman042
Aug 14, 2010, 11:56 PM
There is an app in the store titled Downloads HD. They have a lite and full version. The lite version allows you to keep 7 you tube videos on your iPad for offline viewing while the full version is unlimited. Full version is 2.99. Act now before it gets pulled.

Dude, you just hooked me up by posting this. I had no idea an app like this was available. Good job!

uraniumwilly
Aug 24, 2010, 01:06 AM
My app mysteriously started failing. It won't save files anymore. just the "webarchive."

I can still play the files I downloaded, but I can't download anymore video.

I've tried things like "clear cookies," and restarted the ipad, to no avail.

I'll try connecting it to my laptop and see if it clears up any clogged code.

cfs123
Aug 24, 2010, 05:46 AM
My app mysteriously started failing. It won't save files anymore. just the "webarchive."

I can still play the files I downloaded, but I can't download anymore video.

I've tried things like "clear cookies," and restarted the ipad, to no avail.

I'll try connecting it to my laptop and see if it clears up any clogged code.

Are you using the Lite version? Just got a new ipad from Apple Store due to an issue in my other ipad so I have not used the app since yesterday.

uraniumwilly
Aug 24, 2010, 09:41 AM
Are you using the Lite version? Just got a new ipad from Apple Store due to an issue in my other ipad so I have not used the app since yesterday.

Nope. Full version. I'm going to delete it and re-install to see if that helps.

uraniumwilly
Aug 24, 2010, 09:54 AM
Nope. Full version. I'm going to delete it and re-install to see if that helps.

Nope. Total fail. I'll try and contact support.

cfs123
Aug 24, 2010, 10:23 AM
Nope. Total fail. I'll try and contact support.

Strange. Lite version still working on my IpTouch. Will check my ipad soon that has full version installed.

So long as one does not install an update to the app I am assuming nothing could be changed.

uraniumwilly
Aug 24, 2010, 10:38 AM
Strange. Lite version still working on my IpTouch. Will check my ipad soon that has full version installed.

So long as one does not install an update to the app I am assuming nothing could be changed.

A guy named Paulloveshk, who submitted feedback on iTunes is having the same problem, it seems.

The weird thing is: the Downloads HD browser look and feel changed, on youtube. It's as if a google tech caught me downloading and did something on his end to stifle it.

cfs123
Aug 24, 2010, 10:43 AM
A guy named Paulloveshk, who submitted feedback on iTunes is having the same problem, it seems.

The weird thing is: the Downloads HD browser look and feel changed, on youtube. It's as if a google tech caught me downloading and did something on his end to stifle it.

That's really bizarre. I don't know how they can change it on you from inside the app without altering the app through an update. ike I said, I haven't hooked up my ipad yet to try but I will in the next day or so and will keep you posted on what my screen is like.

CFS123

cfs123
Aug 29, 2010, 11:24 PM

Just tried it on my iPad and am having the same issue as you on the You Tube site. It must be You Tube that changed something. Have you heard anything yet from the dev?

0dev
Aug 30, 2010, 12:52 PM
I assume this app just shows the YouTube mobile site in a browser, and it's now changed to the new version and isn't displaying properly? The same happened to me with another similar app. Google didn't do it on purpose because of the app, it just happens to be how their updated YouTube mobile site works that causes compatibility problems AFAIK.

RawBert
Aug 30, 2010, 02:30 PM
Thanks for the tip, OP.

I was too late last time I heard of an app that did this. When I went to the app store it had been pulled already. So I can see why you have a sence of urgency in your original post. :)

cfs123
Aug 30, 2010, 09:08 PM
I assume this app just shows the YouTube mobile site in a browser, and it's now changed to the new version and isn't displaying properly? The same happened to me with another similar app. Google didn't do it on purpose because of the app, it just happens to be how their updated YouTube mobile site works that causes compatibility problems AFAIK.

I just went into the App and like you mentioned it was on mobile. However, when I clicked to switch it, mobile switched to desktop. The bummer is that videos from YouTube do not save as Quicktime files anymore, they save instead as web archives. Serious downer.

On the other hand, the app still works beautifully with my iPodTouch (version 3.1.3). It downloads videos in You Tubes mobile interface into mp4's like a charm. By the way this app for iphone has been pulled.

Maybe updating my iPad made this happen because there was never an app update?

EDIT: Just figured out how to get You Tube Vids able to download again. For some reason the old way doesn't work. I fear telling everybody here for fear someone is lurking to ruin this app, but I will tell anyway.

1. go to you tube.
2. open a vid you want.
3. hold your finger down over the screen so a pop up appears.
4. press download.

cfs123
Aug 30, 2010, 09:11 PM
Thanks for the tip, OP.

I was too late last time I heard of an app that did this. When I went to the app store it had been pulled already. So I can see why you have a sence of urgency in your original post. :)

But the you tube downloads stopped working for some of us. How is it working for you?

EDIT: Never mind. see above post

cfs123
Aug 30, 2010, 09:36 PM

It's working again.

leons
Sep 2, 2010, 01:30 PM
I have this app, but downloads appear in the download list with a progress bar, but never start. Others working? Suggestions?

ashVID
Sep 2, 2010, 01:51 PM
Still working great for me.

ash =o)

uraniumwilly
Sep 2, 2010, 02:38 PM
EDIT: Just figured out how to get You Tube Vids able to download again. For some reason the old way doesn't work. I fear telling everybody here for fear someone is lurking to ruin this app, but I will tell anyway.

1. go to you tube.
2. open a vid you want.
3. hold your finger down over the screen so a pop up appears.
4. press download.

Fantastic! It works great. Thanks much.

It's weird that it suddenly works this way. The developer doesn't have a site, last time I checked. He should have this fix on a site.

cfs123
Sep 2, 2010, 04:03 PM
I have this app, but downloads appear in the download list with a progress bar, but never start. Others working? Suggestions?

Are you going in your file to watch it? If so, is the icon next to the title an archive or a QT file?

TangoDown
Sep 2, 2010, 05:40 PM
Doesn't work for me. I managed by pure fluke to get a pop up to appear and got half a vid down at a really throttled speed. I can't get another pop-up to appear now however. Tried the www. version, the m. version, HTML5 only vids. Nada.
What am I doing wrong?

:edit: Scratch that, it does work if I use m.YouTube.com and if I close down & restart I can get the pop-up to reappear.

RawBert
Sep 2, 2010, 10:00 PM
Downloads HD for iPad Demo Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhmfcSd1pRw&sns=em)

Great demo video for an awesome app.

EDIT: Here's another useful tip (http://handyiphoneapps.com/dlhd/bookmarklet.html?javascript:window.location='dlhd://'+escape(window.location)) for anyone who uses Safari are their browser. It shows how to add a bookmark (in Safari) that lets you open the page you are on currently, in Downloads HD.
Perfect for me because I like Safari as my default browser. I haven't tried it on Atomic or any other browser.

uraniumwilly
Oct 27, 2010, 01:58 PM
Anyone care to predict as to whether or not this app will function with the new iPad OS? I find myself downloading stuff every day. I hope it continues to work.

I wonder, what's the developer up to these days?

opticalserenity
Oct 28, 2010, 12:01 AM
The other option is to download the videos from youtube on your desktop and then transfer them into iTunes...

uraniumwilly
Oct 28, 2010, 10:42 AM
The other option is to download the videos from youtube on your desktop and then transfer them into iTunes...

Right. I use savevid.com but it's painfully slow, compared to this app. This app is probably 10 times faster. I would rarely download stuff, actually if I had to use my computer.

auzzuro
Nov 3, 2010, 12:10 PM
when i try to download a MV which is in HD quality but after downloading it i try to view it, it was not in hd quality. i am using the lite version right nw?. do u guys have such problem? or i must download full version than can download hd quality video?

err404
Nov 4, 2010, 01:35 PM
I just tested iCab under 4.2 and it still works fine for directly downloading youtube videos (and any other files).

auzzuro
Nov 4, 2010, 02:25 PM
hi is it true that icab app can download youtube video? i dont mind paying for the app if can download youtube video

err404
Nov 4, 2010, 02:42 PM
hi is it true that icab app can download youtube video? i dont mind paying for the app if can download youtube video

Yes, it can; and any other type of file. It will play the download videos directly, or send them to other apps like GoodReader, VLC, Air Shareing, Dropbox etc for playback or transfer.
I'd also like to point out that it is an excellent alternative browser with very nice tab support. Also it's a universal app.

uraniumwilly
Nov 6, 2010, 10:14 AM
Yes, it can; and any other type of file. It will play the download videos directly, or send them to other apps like GoodReader, VLC, Air Shareing, Dropbox etc for playback or transfer.
I'd also like to point out that it is an excellent alternative browser with very nice tab support. Also it's a universal app.

I downloaded icab, launched it, went to YouTube, selected a video, held one finger down on the image, selected download, the results were that a 6k file downloaded, not the video. Suggestions?

err404
Nov 6, 2010, 10:53 AM
I downloaded icab, launched it, went to YouTube, selected a video, held one finger down on the image, selected download, the results were that a 6k file downloaded, not the video. Suggestions?

Browse to the page with your video, tap the Module icon (puzzle piece) and select Video Download. The videos can be played or transferred via the Download Manager (icon with down arrow).

I can't remember if Video Download installed by default. If you don't see it listed, use the "Module Downloads" module to install (Watch Videos Offline).
You can also look under Settings > Modules to see which modules are installed and active.

uraniumwilly
Nov 6, 2010, 11:07 AM
I can't remember if Video Download installed by default. If you don't see it listed, use the "Module Downloads" module to install (Watch Videos Offline).
You can also look under Settings > Modules to see which modules are installed and active.

Thanks for your quick response.

I just tried it and there is no default download module. It says "(iphone)" when you read about this module, but if it works on your iPad it should work on mine. I'll give it another go.

uraniumwilly
Nov 6, 2010, 11:21 AM
:D it worked. I' m happy.

This program, from my brief experience with it, is slick, wonderfully expansive and powerful. The module install was seamless. The dialog boxes you get when you download are a bit weird, but hardly problematic. The download was fast.

The only thing left, for my total satisfaction is to see how well files transfer over to my desktop computer.

err404
Nov 6, 2010, 11:30 AM
The only thing left, for my total satisfaction is to see how well files transfer over to my desktop computer.

You can transfer the files in several ways. You can link it to a Dropbox account, use the built-in web server (Settings>Import/Export>Start Server), Use iTunes File Sharing or send the file to another app on your iPad like AirShare or Goodreader.

uraniumwilly
Nov 6, 2010, 12:28 PM
You can transfer the files in several ways. You can link it to a Dropbox account, use the built-in web server (Settings>Import/Export>Start Server), Use iTunes File Sharing or send the file to another app on your iPad like AirShare or Goodreader.

Transferring files worked great. However, I have one big complaint: the file naming convention of "YouTube video 1" 2, 3 etc. is crappy compared to the exact convention used by Downloads HD. I just downloaded 15 different videos and now find I don't know which is which unless I play them.

I hope the programmers can fix this.

Otherwise, so far, extremely cool. Especially the browser features that are superior to Downloads HD.

err404
Nov 6, 2010, 01:07 PM
Transferring files worked great. However, I have one big complaint: the file naming convention of "YouTube video 1" 2, 3 etc. is crappy compared to the exact convention used by Downloads HD. I just downloaded 15 different videos and now find I don't know which is which unless I play them.

I hope the programmers can fix this.

Otherwise, so far, extremely cool. Especially the browser features that are superior to Downloads HD.

Agreed. It actually used to work, but the new mobile version of google broke it. The plug-in uses the tab title to name the file. With the new mobile of Youtube, all tabs are simply named Youtube and no longer contain the video name. But there is a work around. You can switch Youtube to the desktop version via the "Desktop" link at the lower right corner of the mobile page. Once you are in the desktop version, join the HTML5 beta with the URL www.youtube.com/html5. The desktop version of Youtube is a bit buggy on the iPad, but you'll get the proper video naming.

FYI - I just submitted this issue to the developer. Hopefully they provide a real fix.

uraniumwilly
Nov 6, 2010, 01:26 PM
Gotcha. I'll try the desktop version.

Thanks for all the tips - enormously helpful.

MadeTheSwitch
Nov 22, 2010, 02:44 PM
Browse to the page with your video, tap the Module icon (puzzle piece) and select Video Download. The videos can be played or transferred via the Download Manager (icon with down arrow).

I have looked and looked and quite simply I do not have ANY video related module to download, though there are plenty of other ones for Readability, twitter, and scrolling to top..etc.

And ideas? I would like this module but it doesn't seem to be offered. Was it dropped perhaps? Does anyone know?

uraniumwilly
Dec 14, 2010, 05:50 AM
Does anyone understand the new downloads hd update? When you begin a download a new dialog box arrives with URL info (and I have no idea what I'm supposed to do with it.) and when you click "done" the download simply fails. At first it worked great. Now, no good.

sim667
Dec 14, 2010, 08:05 AM
this sounds good, ill probably download when i get my ipad tomorrow

Can i just check you all know you can download the flv files using the safari objects window on mac os x yeah?

Obviously you can then convert it and put in on your ipad.

STEALTH714
Dec 14, 2010, 09:23 AM
Does anyone understand the new downloads hd update? When you begin a download a new dialog box arrives with URL info (and I have no idea what I'm supposed to do with it.) and when you click "done" the download simply fails. At first it worked great. Now, no good.

Same issue

When this app first came out it was easy to use. Then, something changed and I would have to start watching the video, do a "save as" and then return to the video and keep my finger depressed on the screen to bring up the download screen. Now with the new version the same applies, however when I hit to download it shows a download but nothing happens. Any help appreciated.

err404
Dec 14, 2010, 10:15 AM
I have looked and looked and quite simply I do not have ANY video related module to download, though there are plenty of other ones for Readability, twitter, and scrolling to top..etc.

And ideas? I would like this module but it doesn't seem to be offered. Was it dropped perhaps? Does anyone know?

That's very disappointing. I already have it installed, but I don't see it on the module download site any longer. He had even fixed the video file naming logic before it was pulled.

Update - I emailed the developer and this is his response:
Yes, YouTube has again changed their site so the module needs to be
modified. It will be available again later when I've done all the
necessary modifications.
--
Alexander Clauss

uraniumwilly
Dec 14, 2010, 07:42 PM
Same issue

When this app first came out it was easy to use. Then, something changed and I would have to start watching the video, do a "save as" and then return to the video and keep my finger depressed on the screen to bring up the download screen. Now with the new version the same applies, however when I hit to download it shows a download but nothing happens. Any help appreciated.

It seems to have been repaired with the latest update. That was a fast fix, and that quick turnaround is really cool. If anyone out there is communicating with the developer, tell him thanks. Downloads is a nice app.

err404
Dec 18, 2010, 11:33 AM
Any ideas? I would like this module but it doesn't seem to be offered. Was it dropped perhaps? Does anyone know?
The iCab module is back now.

uraniumwilly
Feb 11, 2011, 02:44 PM
Downloads HD is failing again - on both iPad and iPhone.

uraniumwilly
Feb 16, 2011, 10:51 AM
Downloads HD is failing again - on both iPad and iPhone.

He fixed it! The new version is working. Yay!

EazyWeazy3
Feb 16, 2011, 10:40 PM
I'm assuming Downloads for iPad is the same thing right??

uraniumwilly
Mar 9, 2011, 12:07 PM
I'm assuming Downloads for iPad is the same thing right??

I wondered the same thing.

I also wonder whether or not downloading will somehow become dysfunctional with 4.3.

uraniumwilly
Oct 29, 2011, 11:58 AM
So, what, if anything, are people using nowadays for downloading youtube videos?

APlotdevice
Oct 29, 2011, 01:00 PM
So, what, if anything, are people using nowadays for downloading youtube videos?

I've just been using the download video option in the iCab browser. Though Youtube's recent update seems to have messed it up. Thankfully it'll still work with embedded videos.

uraniumwilly
Oct 30, 2011, 09:17 AM
I've just been using the download video option in the iCab browser. Though Youtube's recent update seems to have messed it up. Thankfully it'll still work with embedded videos.

Does the download function work well in the most recent iCab?

APlotdevice
Oct 30, 2011, 03:43 PM
In my experience, yes. Other than the aforementioned issue with YouTube I've never had a problem downloading videos and other files.

uraniumwilly
Nov 15, 2011, 09:15 AM
In fact, now there are many free ways to do that task, like FireFox plug-in(s), but first you have to run Firefox Browser.
And somehow Firefox is related to ipad apps?