PDA

View Full Version : Failed Windows XP Upgrade Downs 60,000 UK Gov't PCs

MacBytes
Nov 28, 2004, 01:16 PM
Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Failed Windows XP Upgrade Downs 60,000 UK Gov\'t PCs (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20041128141647)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

edesignuk
Nov 28, 2004, 01:27 PM
Sounds like the fault of retarted sys admins to me.

combatcolin
Nov 28, 2004, 01:41 PM
From the same goverment that brought you the Pension credit cock up and the Child support fiasco.

And what does Tony want next.

The ID card!!
Another "fail safe" multi £billion IT project.

Bakey
Nov 28, 2004, 01:47 PM

Errr, toss up between an iPod mini and a 20" iMac G5 for Chrimbo!?!?! ;)

maya
Nov 28, 2004, 05:49 PM
Errr, toss up between an iPod mini and a 20" iMac G5 for Chrimbo!?!?! ;)

an iPod G5 20" instead. ;) :)

Stella
Nov 28, 2004, 05:54 PM
Another failed project by EDS. And the UK government still award contracts to EDS. Failure after Failure.

****ing retards.

****ing microsoft.

Fender2112
Nov 28, 2004, 06:56 PM
Sounds like a good reason to switch to OS X. Then again I don't need a reason. I just don't like Windows. :D

Nermal
Nov 28, 2004, 07:30 PM
Not liking Windows is still a reason, a very good one at that :)

Santaduck
Nov 28, 2004, 08:08 PM
Does the government get a special distribution of Windows that is somehow different and contributed to this disaster? or was it just incompetence on the sysadmins' parts?

HexMonkey
Nov 28, 2004, 08:26 PM
Most of the desktop computers in the UK's Department for Work and Pensions were paralyzed for four days on Monday

I thought it was a long day...

Nermal
Nov 28, 2004, 08:37 PM
Does the government get a special distribution of Windows that is somehow different and contributed to this disaster? or was it just incompetence on the sysadmins' parts?

I believe that it was a regular version of Windows. The problem is that something went wrong (I don't know whether due to a bug or human error), but I think the XP Service Pack 2 got rolled out to 60000 Windows 2000 computers instead of the 7 XP computers they wanted to roll it out to.

I can only assume that installing an XP service pack on 2000 would wreak havoc :eek:

Edit: OK, it had nothing to do with a service pack (I first read the article a few days ago, and must be mixing it up with something else)

Sharewaredemon
Nov 28, 2004, 09:48 PM
I thought it was a long day...

hahaha four days on monday
that doesn't make sense

MrCommunistGen
Nov 28, 2004, 10:02 PM
There's one more for the good guys!

yinyang
Nov 28, 2004, 11:09 PM

just give him some iPod socks, in red of course :D

nagromme
Nov 29, 2004, 12:07 AM
I think it's the same as "I go on my month-long trip next Monday." Monday refers to the beginning of the event, but not the end.

wrldwzrd89
Nov 29, 2004, 04:29 AM
I think it's the same as "I go on my month-long trip next Monday." Monday refers to the beginning of the event, but not the end.
As if the events depicted in the article weren't enough of a cock-up. Mistakes like this just make the article even more amusing to read, and enlightening on the dramatic ways Windows can fail.

kerb
Nov 29, 2004, 06:48 AM

surely you mean blue

asif786
Nov 29, 2004, 07:21 AM
mmm..things like this bring a smile to my face :D (ok, more like a silly grin)

ah well, at least something brightened up my gloomy iMac-less day.. :rolleyes:

moot
Nov 29, 2004, 10:24 AM
4 days

Now if only my company could do the same....

kettle
Nov 29, 2004, 10:44 AM
hahaha four days on monday
that doesn't make sense

Depends how badly you need your time sheet to add up :)

You just need the a super to sign the bottom, not read it. numbers are numbers.

Working for the civil service has to be seen to be believed.

Also, they probably just shared the one PC that was working, they were probably lucky with one still working near the kettle. It probably took Three days before they worked up enough urgency to report the failure.

Obviously the number of people actually doing any work was less than the threshold required for a system wide emergency. like big deal, a few workers report their screen has turned blue.

macridah
Nov 29, 2004, 10:50 PM
dang, someone royally messed up. Not up for 4 days ... that is unheard of. I don't know who to blame ... the admins, eds, or M$? I think you would have to try to bring down a group of macs.