Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mord

macrumors G4
Original poster
Aug 24, 2003
UK
i'm posting this from a friends house and his b&w g3 seems buggered it wont bong or anything i have rest the cuda taken the ram out unplugged all the HD's and tested the battery (it booted without the battery before so i dont think it is that.

when i first took one of the sticks of ram out it booted but then i turned it off and put annother stick in to test it it would not even if i pulled it out again, i'm completely out of ideas and i'm probably liable as i had installed just before it happened, all the led's light up bar the one near the cpu which flickers and then turns off, i have tryed two cpu's.

the fact that it booted once indicates that the logic board is ok but i'm at a loss to get it working again.

Leareth

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2004
Vancouver
Have you tried booting of a CD?
I had one of my G3 B&W pull a similar stunt, all the lights were on including the status lights on the HD but it was the HD that was buggered once it was replaced with a new drive and reinstalled the OS the computer worked just fine.
And I seem to recall in the B&W's the firmware update messed things up for upgrading CPU's and sometimes even RAM...

TLRedhawke

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2004
Sounds like a shoddy power supply to me. The one stick of ram wasn't an indication, really. Most power supplies that are going or gone will still work every so often. Test it with a new power supply, and see how she goes.

Mord

macrumors G4
Original poster
Aug 24, 2003
UK
i cant really get another power supply (could use a pc one i know but my friends parents will not be keen)

it's not the HD's as it's not even booting to the flashing folder thing, the fact that it dose not even bong most of the time indicates that it's not booting open firmware at all, i took the battery out and unpluged it and told them to leave it overnight and try it in the morning, it dose have an upgraded cpu (400MHz xlr8 g4 zif) but i cant really do much about the firmware.

if it's still dodgy in the morning i'll test the power supply with my multimeter.

now, liability it has done this type of thing in the past but that was cpu related and i was working inside before this happened and i was useing it to wipe the HD clean when it froze with the kernel panic message halfway down the screen, i rebooted it and no bong just the fans spin up all the led's bar the cpu one that flickers come up. they seem to indicate that it's my fault as the HD i put in may have caused a power surge that fryed the motherboard, now i think thats bs as the HD still works fine and power supplys are protected from that type of thing (diodes ect.).

do you think i should be liable to the damages to the g3?

for now if it dose not work i'll have to lend him one of my cubes to use while his g3 is down.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
Hector said:
i cant really get another power supply (could use a pc one i know but my friends parents will not be keen)

it's not the HD's as it's not even booting to the flashing folder thing, the fact that it dose not even bong most of the time indicates that it's not booting open firmware at all, i took the battery out and unpluged it and told them to leave it overnight and try it in the morning, it dose have an upgraded cpu (400MHz xlr8 g4 zif) but i cant really do much about the firmware.

if it's still dodgy in the morning i'll test the power supply with my multimeter.

now, liability it has done this type of thing in the past but that was cpu related and i was working inside before this happened and i was useing it to wipe the HD clean when it froze with the kernel panic message halfway down the screen, i rebooted it and no bong just the fans spin up all the led's bar the cpu one that flickers come up. they seem to indicate that it's my fault as the HD i put in may have caused a power surge that fryed the motherboard, now i think thats bs as the HD still works fine and power supplys are protected from that type of thing (diodes ect.).

do you think i should be liable to the damages to the g3?

for now if it dose not work i'll have to lend him one of my cubes to use while his g3 is down.

I don't believe you are liable, if the computer is dead its, dead buy a new one if you cannot fix it. As long as all they information on they HDD is intact you should be safe. Loosing they information would make you liable.

Mord

macrumors G4
Original poster
Aug 24, 2003
UK
if it's not my fault the g3 breaking then it cant be my fault loosing there data (even though there data is not lost).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.