Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Hello everyone,

This usually happens multibable times a week, and sometimes every day:

I'm on the internet on my MacBook Pro, when the internet seems to pack up. Its all still connected and everything, but most sites won't load. It just says "Connecting to [INSERT SITE NAME]" forever until it times out. The only way to fix this seems to be to reset the router AND restart my computer.

I suspected its my 5 year old router thats starting to pack itself in. After all, it has been used every single day all day my multibable computers since it was purchased. The problem has happened on other Macs in my house, but mainly with my MacBook Pro.

So what do you guys think?

Thanks! :D

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
I'm thinking router, as all your clients seem to have issues. Does your router have any updated firmware?

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
I'm thinking router, as all your clients seem to have issues. Does your router have any updated firmware?

Hehe, maybe someone else in my family has, but I don't recall doing a thing to it since I got it :eek:

So do you reckon if I updated the router's firmware it would solve the problem, rather than getting a new router?

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
Hehe, maybe someone else in my family has, but I don't recall doing a thing to it since I got it :eek:

So do you reckon if I updated the router's firmware it would solve the problem, rather than getting a new router?

It might, and it's a free thing to do. :)

mlts22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2008
It might, and it's a free thing to do. :)

A neighbor of mine had this exact problem of a machine losing connection. A firmware upgrade completely fixed the issue.

Go for that. It is free (except for time), and might save you the cost of a new router.

CaliJ177

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2010
Do you run a lot of torrents over your router?

I have seen a number of cases where someone was using either too many torrents or too many connections per torrent and the router couldn't keep track of everything so it started dropping connections. It would have an effect like your describing where things like web pages will time out and or fail to load all the way. When you power cycle the router the connection tables get wiped out so stuff will work again until it gets all cluttered up with too many torrent connections again.

Something worth looking into.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.