PDA

View Full Version : Can you use a G4 powerbook to develop iPhone Apps

snook911
Aug 12, 2010, 02:45 PM
I was thinking about buying a G4 Powerbook from PowerMax but I may want to try my hand and iPhone Developing sometime in the future. Is this possible on a powerbook.

Thanks

AppleCode
Aug 12, 2010, 02:55 PM
The iPhone SdK requires Snow leopard. I wouldn't do it. Save up for an intel machine. The way Apple is the iPhone Sdk will alway require the latest software. Also the g4 is becoming more and more obsolete. If you would want to future proof I would also recommend a Intel machine.

Intell
Aug 12, 2010, 03:00 PM
Not for 4.0 and higher. To develop for that platform you need Snow Leopard. Powerbooks cannot run Snow Leopard.

iMacDragon
Aug 12, 2010, 03:01 PM
I was thinking about getting a G4 Powerbook from Powermax but I may want to try my hand at Iphone Developing at some point. Is this possible on the powerbook.

Thanks

Not officially, though I believe it is technically possible with extra fiddling, but can not use simulator to help. And may well become impossible at some stage to use latest SDK ( not sure if xcode 4 will work on ppc or not? )

edit: with the correction of post above me, seems that stage has already arrived without me noticing.

snook911
Aug 12, 2010, 03:03 PM
Not for 4.0 and higher. To develop for that platform you need Snow Leopard. Powerbooks cannot run Snow Leopard.

So does that mean you could devolp apps but you would just not be able to optimize them for ios4. Phones running ios4 could use your apps though right?

Intell
Aug 12, 2010, 03:05 PM
So does that mean you could devolp apps but you would just not be able to optimize them for ios4. Phones running ios4 could use your apps though right?

I don't think Apple is accepting iOS 3.1.3 apps anymore. So it still wouldn't work. But if they are then yes. You'll just not be able to use any 4.0 exclusive features, like iAds.

Apple...
Aug 12, 2010, 03:08 PM
I was thinking about getting a G4 Powerbook from Powermax but I may want to try my hand at Iphone Developing at some point. Is this possible on the powerbook.

Thanks
Snow Leopard is a necessity, and if you machine can't handle it (and I don't think it can), then your out of luck. Sorry. Time for an upgrade, eh? :D

snook911
Aug 12, 2010, 03:15 PM
How about a Used 17" iMac Intel Core Duo/1.83 GHz. This would be able to develop ios4 apps right?

Intell
Aug 12, 2010, 03:16 PM
How about a Used 17" iMac Intel Core Duo/1.83 GHz. This would be able to develop ios4 apps right?

Yes, only if you had Snow Leopard on it.

Anne R. Kist
Aug 12, 2010, 03:32 PM
The iPhone SDK has always required an Intel Mac.

FourCandles
Aug 12, 2010, 04:45 PM
Just to clarify:

iPhone Software Developers Kit > requires Max OS X 10.6 "Snow Leopard" > requires a Mac with an Intel processor.

So no, it won't run on the Powerbook.

snook911
Aug 12, 2010, 05:49 PM
Just to clarify:

iPhone Software Developers Kit > requires Max OS X 10.6 "Snow Leopard" > requires a Mac with an Intel processor.

So no, it won't run on the Powerbook.

So any mac with a intel chip would be ok. It does not matter what model or how old.

FourCandles
Aug 12, 2010, 06:14 PM
So any mac with a intel chip would be ok. It does not matter what model or how old.

http://developer.apple.com/support/resources/iphone-dev-center.html

stevemack
Aug 14, 2010, 01:23 PM
I'm moving from developing web based to native iPhone apps but can't use my non Intel based PowerMac G5 because it won't upgrade to Snow Leopard.

Would a Mac Mini with Snow Leopard be an OK system to use for XCode, Cocoa, etc., I could save myself a few bucks using my current display, keyboard, and mouse.

TIA for your response.

Intell
Aug 14, 2010, 11:17 PM
Would a Mac Mini with Snow Leopard be an OK system to use for XCode, Cocoa, etc., I could save myself a few bucks using my current display, keyboard, and mouse.

Yes, a Mac Mini would work very nicely with Xcode.