Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wfj5444

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
My wife and I wanted to jump into EQ2. It is a love/hate thing for us.

WoW is awesome that it plays on the Mac natively and I just wish that EQ2 did as well.

The newest version of Crossover Games (9.1) now seems a very plausible solution. It has been 2 days now and it works great. Frame rates are pretty good, you obviously can't play it quite as high of video setting as you can in Bootcamp. There are also a couple of texture issues, but they aren't common.

I would give it about a 85-90% rating on how well it works. If anyone wants to try it:

• Create a winxp bottle
  • Install DirectX Modern (From the supported libraries in Crossover)
  • Download the 'Reinstall EQ' setup from the website (http://www.everquest2.com)
  • Select the installer in the 'Install Software' section of the bottle.
  • For me the installer crashed, (it might do better using install DVD), but once it crashed it created the correct directories allowing me to copy the install directory to the bottle package (click show package in the bottle manager)
  • Now just run Laucher directly from inside the install folder. Once you do that you can keep that app on your Dock

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.