Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

naveen

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2004
Hi all

I am currently working in a project in QT For Macintosh system which deals with reading hardware details. Can anyone help me how to get the hardware details.
for example in case of harddisk, i want to get the harddisk details like, manufacturer name, number of sectors, serial number,Model No. Like this i want to get details of all storage devices.
is there any way of getting this. can anyone send a sample code of getting these details. is there any way in QT to get these.Where they are store in a system.
Plz tell me from where i have to read the information programatically about serial no. and model no. of hard disk.

Thanks and Regards

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
That stuff is written on the drives. Just have to read it. Otherwise, check with the manufacture, and they usually tell you all the information such as sectors and what not. And if you want the details of the Mac, read the sticker on the back of it. Apple prints what the computer originally came with on the back.

sgarringer

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2004
Cedar Rapids, IA
varmit said:
That stuff is written on the drives. Just have to read it. Otherwise, check with the manufacture, and they usually tell you all the information such as sectors and what not. And if you want the details of the Mac, read the sticker on the back of it. Apple prints what the computer originally came with on the back.

Bother to read his original message? Hes looking for code that will pull this into QT. Unless you want to write a program that reads a sticker, you didnt answer the original question.

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
that should be available within a code, look at system profiler and it works, I don't think it is impossible but don'T have idea how to do that, sorry, I know I didn't answer your question but a bit of motivation doesn't bother ;)

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Although it's entirely possible to read plenty of drive info in software, I've never heard of anybody doing anything that low-level in QT directly. So far as I know, QT doesn't allow much outside of interface and scripting--certainly none of the system calls and likely direct hardware access that would be required to read the HD's serial number.

I'd be quite surprised if this were possible without resorting to an external application--aside from completely breaking the cross-platform nature of QuickTime, that kind of access from a media handler would be a huge security risk.

naveen

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2004
hard disk serial no and model no and capacity

hi all
I am working on QT Designer(c++ Gui programming kit).
I want to pic the hard disk serial no and model no and capacity using c++ programming from the macintosh system.
But i don't know where ,in which file the information about the hard disk details are written.
I am able to read the file in macintosh like /dev/disk0.

Plz give me valuable suggestions and location of file that contains the above details about the hard disk.
Thanks and Regards

naveen

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2004
Hard disk serial no and model no

hi all
Plz Sought out my problem.
If anybody have knowlege please help me.

Thanks and Regards

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.