PDA

View Full Version : Toshiba wins Hollywood backing for next-generation HD-DVD

MacBytes
Nov 29, 2004, 07:48 AM
Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Toshiba wins Hollywood backing for next-generation HD-DVD (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20041129084835)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

moot
Nov 29, 2004, 10:17 AM
Dont know much about the difference in formats or which is better but I always get worried when tech issues get decided by big corporates and not the consumer. My first thought on reading this article is what was the real reason for their choice. Bet it has nothing to do with providing any advantges to the consumer.

zelmo
Nov 29, 2004, 10:24 AM
Dont know much about the difference in formats or which is better but I always get worried when tech issues get decided by big corporates and not the consumer. My first thought on reading this article is what was the real reason for their choice. Bet it has nothing to do with providing any advantges to the consumer.

Exactly. It sounds like their sole determining factor is how cheaply DVD production lines can be retro-fitted to produce the newer format. Sony sure does have problems getting their preferred format made an industry standard (Betamax, some flavor of DVD, the minidisk, whatever their recent MP3 format was that was supposed to kill the iPod, and now Blu-Ray).

Nermal
Nov 29, 2004, 04:09 PM
The new discs contain anti-piracy technologies that make them harder to copy than current DVDs. Protecting DVD sales is critical for the studios, which generate more revenue from DVDs than at the box office.

Wow, they already get more revenue from DVDs than theatrically. But that's not good enough - they need to copy-protect the new DVDs too, so that they can get even more money! :eek:

killmoms
Nov 29, 2004, 07:38 PM
You guys should be happy. Not only will this keep prices down, it's the format that has Apple's codec "all up ons," and the format that wants to throw out Microsoft's WMV3 derivative (VC-1). Big win for H.264 and efficient compression everywhere.

maya
Nov 29, 2004, 07:53 PM
Exactly. It sounds like their sole determining factor is how cheaply DVD production lines can be retro-fitted to produce the newer format. Sony sure does have problems getting their preferred format made an industry standard (Betamax, some flavor of DVD, the minidisk, whatever their recent MP3 format was that was supposed to kill the iPod, and now Blu-Ray).

You are forgetting about the Memory Stick. :p

I would conclude that they decided with toshiba for:

1. The name HD-DVD
2. Low Cost reproduction and error rate.
3. Better protection
4. Low cost retro fit.
5. Toshiba bribed some of the members. ;)

Santaduck
Nov 29, 2004, 08:10 PM
You guys should be happy. Not only will this keep prices down, it's the format that has Apple's codec "all up ons," and the format that wants to throw out Microsoft's WMV3 derivative (VC-1). Big win for H.264 and efficient compression everywhere.

explain some more?

I agree in general it's better that here a group has seemingly agreed, rather than a single monolithic entity such as Sony.

What are the specs for audio? (bits, bitrate, compression, channels)

nagromme
Nov 29, 2004, 10:55 PM
Wow, they already get more revenue from DVDs than theatrically. But that's not good enough - they need to copy-protect the new DVDs too, so that they can get even more money! :eek:

Is it bad that they get that money, rather than losing it to pirates breaking the law?

Piracy-protection can be objectionable in many ways--but I wouldn't count greed among them. I put the pirates in the greed column.