PDA

View Full Version : Downgrade to Upgrade - PowerBook vs. iBook G4

MacBytes
Nov 29, 2004, 07:50 AM
Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Downgrade to Upgrade - PowerBook vs. iBook G4 (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20041129085044)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

Santaduck
Nov 29, 2004, 08:08 PM
hahaha how true. The newer topend iBooks have definitely enroached upon PB territory, or even surpassed the older PBs, which is what the article title is about. For the same price would you get the smallest PB or the largest fastest iBook? hmmm. Hard choice, I might opt for the iB, even when comparing the current models.

Nermal
Nov 30, 2004, 12:41 AM
I had trouble connecting to the site, so here's the article for anyone else who has problems.

You know the story. PowerBook beginning to creak, the feeling that if you want cash in the chips at least you'll get something for it, and the weekly search online for reviews, comparisons, tests and then its out there. Boom - I need a new PowerBook. But do you really?

And don't we all know the trouble? The PowerBook G5 is due around the beginning of the year, and I'd love to get one but when? "No time soon" says the oh-so-secretive Cupertino. So it's back to the current lineup which is none too easy now.

Having been a PowerBook user for a long while now, when it came to the time to trade up and buy a new machine it was interesting to see the results of all the iBook/PowerBook comparisons. These days and after the last iBook refresh Apple is packing quite a punch into their snowy books. And one look at the pricing of the 12-inch model PowerBook makes you ask yourself who would really pay that much?

So I went and did it - downgraded from a PowerBook G4 Titanium 867MHz to an iBook G4 1.2Ghz and really there is no difference in performance. Most of what I do is text, Web and some photo stuff I am not sure whether one needs the high spec PowerBook if you're a low spec kind of guy. Having had a work iBook for a year has taught me that the wear and tear is so much better, in fact it's in a different league, than the slick PowerBook G4 Titanium.

P.S. But there is always that dream for the razor thin portable, a 21st century PowerBook 2400c. Remember those beauties? if Apple can create an iMac G5 imagine what they could do to a high end PBG4 revision.

cb911
Nov 30, 2004, 04:21 AM
ha ha, they call that an 'article'. :D

aahhh... i'd completely forgotten about PowerPage until i saw this MacByte...

but anyway, yes, i think everyone looking for a new 'Book these days will find the choice difficult. correct me if i'm wrong, but it seems that any (or i should say the 'majority' of) people buying PowerBooks only make that choice because they want the "PowerBook" look and feel, not because of performance.

i do wish Apple would just give us some hints about the PowerBook G5....

*hint hint*

:D

robbieduncan
Nov 30, 2004, 05:53 AM
If there was (as stated) "no difference in performance" why bother? I would hope that the iBook would be faster!

maya
Dec 1, 2004, 02:27 AM
Great, Steve J walk on stage and introduces the new PowerHotPlate G5 that will replace the PowerBook @ MWSF 05. The crowd goes wild and there is utter chaos at the Keynote. Hours later Steve J has a neck brace. :D Okay I am evil so bite me :p ;) :)

KyleC
Dec 3, 2004, 10:41 AM
Having had a work iBook for a year has taught me that the wear and tear is so much better, in fact it's in a different league, than the slick PowerBook G4 Titanium.

hu? so the ibook is more durable than the powerbook? or the other way around?

jsw
Dec 3, 2004, 11:03 AM
hu? so the ibook is more durable than the powerbook? or the other way around?
The article's assertion is that the iBook is more durable.

palusami
Dec 3, 2004, 12:13 PM
hahaha how true. The newer topend iBooks have definitely enroached upon PB territory, or even surpassed the older PBs, which is what the article title is about. For the same price would you get the smallest PB or the largest fastest iBook? hmmm. Hard choice, I might opt for the iB, even when comparing the current models.

so true. it took me a long time to decide on whether to buy a pb or an ib. in the end, one of the main reasons i went with a pb is coz i liked the titanium look. you do get a lot of bang for your buck with the ib tho. ;)