Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

164053-axon_haptic_specs_500.jpg

CrunchGear reports on the new Axon Haptic, an $800 tablet device carrying a 10-inch touch screen and capable of running not only both Windows and Linux, but also any Darwin-based operating system, including Mac OS X.
We give you the choice of easily choosing which OS you want to boot up to. Whether you want Linux one day, or Windows the next. Of course, we suspect that you'll be using Darwin the most. We've installed Darwin (kernel and system specific kexts) on a hidden EFI partition. That means you can effortlessly install your favorite Darwin OS, such as Pure Darwin.
The site is careful to note that while Mac OS X Snow Leopard is a Darwin OS, installation of the operating system on non-Apple hardware is a violation of the end user license agreement. It is obvious, however, that the company is targeting users who wish to run Mac OS X while attempting to absolve itself of any liability should Apple decide to take action against the company.

The two-pound Axon Haptic includes a 10.1-inch resistive touch screen running at 1024 x 600 pixels and supporting both stylus and finger input, and is powered by a 1.6 GHz Atom processor with 2 GB of RAM and a 320 GB hard drive. Also included are a 1.3-megapixel webcam, Wi-Fi, and a series of USB, Ethernet, and VGA ports, as well as a card reader. Support for a Verizon 3G data SIM card and Bluetooth is available as upgrades.

Pre-order pricing is currently set at $750 for single base units, with discounts available for customers ordering multiple units. CrunchGear notes that pricing will increase to $800 once the device launches, although there seems to be no word yet on when units might begin shipping.

Comparisons to the Modbook from Axiotron are certainly to be expected, although those systems are converted directly from Apple notebooks and carry a starting price tag of $1849, or $899 if the customer supplies the notebook. It also remains to be seen how the Haptic will perform given its simplistic resistive touch screen and a lack of Apple-supported modifications to assist with converting Mac OS X to a touch-friendly environment.

Article Link: Axon Logic Debuts $750 Mac OS X-Capable Tablet

DaveP

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2005
Half of the pages on their website are just big text blocks with email addresses. Doesn't exactly exude professionalism.

AppleCode

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
Id rather have a ipad. Form factor, better screen. capacitive screen. Ethernet port =useless. (I think)

logandzwon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
I agree with the previous posts... the product does not seem to have a point... BUT... I respect the creativity.

VenusianSky

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2008
Pre-order pricing is currently set at $750 for single base units, with discounts available for customers ordering multiple units. CrunchGear notes that pricing will increase to $800 once the device launches, although there seems to be no word yet on when units might begin shipping.

Probably because they never will and you will never see your $750. :D

hwhalers

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2009
I agree with the previous posts... the product does not seem to have a point... BUT... I respect the creativity.

What creativity? They shoved a few parts into an unremarkable package, and then winked and nodded to suggest that it can run an OS it isn't licensed to.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
The site is careful to note that while Mac OS X Snow Leopard is a Darwin OS, installation of the operating system on non-Apple hardware is a violation of the end user license agreement. It is obvious, however, that the company is targeting users who wish to run Mac OS X while attempting to absolve itself of any liability should Apple decide to take action against the company.

No computer can run an unmodified copy of MacOS X unless the manufacturer is intentionally circumventing Apple's copy protection. That makes it a DMCA violation, and the going rate for that is $2,250 _per computer_ as Psystar found out. It doesn't matter who does the installing.

darkplanets

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2009
While I'm all for competition...

1) It's ugly.

2) I'm sure its battery sucks.

3) 1.6GHz Atom. That's going to make OSX or Win7 well, terrible.

4) Mechanical hard drive? Sounds wonderful...

5) Resistive touch screens are terrible.

6) Touch w/ OSX. Ha.

Sorry, better luck next time.

EDIT: Also, on their main page they show Apple (OSX) as an option, which is clearly in violation of the DMCA...

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
iPad is cheaper, with an App Store of 250,000+ apps, capacitive touchscreen and guaranteed to not be sued by Apple. Why am I considering this DIY, more expensive, lesser hardware AND resistive touchscreen? If it was capacitive, I would have really considered. Darn.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
OS X 10.6.4 runs very well on my Dell Mini 9. There's no reason to believe that this tablet couldn't run 10.6.4 and do so well, especially if it's just for stuff one would do on the iPad.

Other than the Atom processor which has a bad rap, isn't this the device everyone wanted Apple to release in January?

You can't say that something like this is just a big iPod Touch. It's a real computer compared to the iPad.

allpar

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2002
This is a potential big deal because some of us actually want to do content creation on a small, cheap machine, and you can't run any html editors (or any other regular OS X software) on iPad. On the other hand, without any guarantees, critical reviews, etc., etc. and with the slow processor and being restricted to OS 10.5, ...

hwhalers

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2009
Other than the Atom processor which has a bad rap, isn't this the device everyone wanted Apple to release in January?

I really can't remember anyone asking for a stylus-tainted netbook-in-a-tablet with a mechanical HD, an awful screen, and legacy ports.

chris200x9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2006
No computer can run an unmodified copy of MacOS X unless the manufacturer is intentionally circumventing Apple's copy protection. That makes it a DMCA violation, and the going rate for that is $2,250 _per computer_ as Psystar found out. It doesn't matter who does the installing.

Really? I'm pretty sure EVERYTHING worked with my acer aspire 5740G-6979 out of the box using iboot, then I gave up and wiped it because I realized linux > mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.