PDA

View Full Version : The Runaway Train Went Down The Tube And It Blew...Woo Woo!!!

Queso
Aug 13, 2010, 06:23 PM
Chaos struck London Underground's Northern Line at the start of this morning's rush when a driverless train broke away from the engine towing it and headed off into the tunnels under Camden towards the centre of the city. At 6:44am the engineering train broke its coupling near Archway station and rolled back down the hill towards oncoming passenger trains. Thanks to the Northern Line having multiple routes through the city control room staff quickly diverted passenger trains safely onto the line's Bank branch whilst the runaway was left to come to a rest at Warren Street station on the Charing Cross part of the network.

Sadly Ringo Starr did not provide commentary.

BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-10964766)

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/48730000/gif/_48730956_runaway_tube_train_464.gif

TheShinyMac
Aug 13, 2010, 06:38 PM
No matter how slow it was rolling its still a big deal, even the slightest bump from another car can derail especially with the condition of the tracks on da tube

R94N
Aug 18, 2010, 05:37 AM
I have never, ever heard of anything like this happening on the Underground; but then again I'm only 14 so I haven't been around that long in the grand scheme of things :P

No matter how slow it was rolling its still a big deal, even the slightest bump from another car can derail especially with the condition of the tracks on da tube

Yeah, I suppose, but the actual tunnel has only just enough room for a train car, so it would be less of a deal. Could still damage the tunnel wall though I suppose. It is pretty bumpy on most of the tracks in the UK I think.

Queso
Aug 18, 2010, 05:48 AM
It is pretty bumpy on most of the tracks in the UK I think.
The Northern Line isn't too bad on that front. The worst line is definitely the Metropolitan, on which you sometimes find it difficult to stay in your seat it jumps around so much.

R94N
Aug 18, 2010, 05:51 AM
The Northern Line isn't too bad on that front. The worst line is definitely the Metropolitan, on which you sometimes find it difficult to stay in your seat it jumps around so much.

LOL :) Must get pretty bad at rush hour then; people standing up and all that...

Abstract
Aug 18, 2010, 06:00 AM
Yeah, the Northern Line has always been quite good. It was also one of the most reliable.

Metropolitan line is definitely the most ghetto. It's so 3rd world.

.Andy
Aug 18, 2010, 06:04 AM
Want to acknowledge this reference :).

Queso
Aug 18, 2010, 06:05 AM
LOL :) Must get pretty bad at rush hour then; people standing up and all that...
Ironically rush hour's the safest part of the day. Bit difficult to get thrown across the carriage when you're wedged into someone's armpit :D

R94N
Aug 18, 2010, 11:24 AM
Want to acknowledge this reference :).

Yeah - Thomas the Tank Engine?

MrSmith
Sep 17, 2010, 06:00 AM
Let's be honest: any nasal Liverpudlian would do.

notjustjay
Sep 17, 2010, 05:07 PM
Yeah - Thomas the Tank Engine?

Who could forget The Fat Controller!!

TheOnlyJon
Sep 24, 2010, 02:55 PM
It's like Speed: 2. Props to the rail system for averting disaster though.

Kebabselector
Sep 25, 2010, 07:04 PM
It's like Speed: 2. Props to the rail system for averting disaster though.

Pity UB40 weren't on this runaway train - might have done us all a favour.