Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Queso

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 4, 2006
Chaos struck London Underground's Northern Line at the start of this morning's rush when a driverless train broke away from the engine towing it and headed off into the tunnels under Camden towards the centre of the city. At 6:44am the engineering train broke its coupling near Archway station and rolled back down the hill towards oncoming passenger trains. Thanks to the Northern Line having multiple routes through the city control room staff quickly diverted passenger trains safely onto the line's Bank branch whilst the runaway was left to come to a rest at Warren Street station on the Charing Cross part of the network.

Sadly Ringo Starr did not provide commentary.

BBC News

_48730956_runaway_tube_train_464.gif

TheShinyMac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2009
No matter how slow it was rolling its still a big deal, even the slightest bump from another car can derail especially with the condition of the tracks on da tube

R94N

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2010
UK
I have never, ever heard of anything like this happening on the Underground; but then again I'm only 14 so I haven't been around that long in the grand scheme of things :p

No matter how slow it was rolling its still a big deal, even the slightest bump from another car can derail especially with the condition of the tracks on da tube

Yeah, I suppose, but the actual tunnel has only just enough room for a train car, so it would be less of a deal. Could still damage the tunnel wall though I suppose. It is pretty bumpy on most of the tracks in the UK I think.

Queso

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 4, 2006
It is pretty bumpy on most of the tracks in the UK I think.
The Northern Line isn't too bad on that front. The worst line is definitely the Metropolitan, on which you sometimes find it difficult to stay in your seat it jumps around so much.

R94N

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2010
UK
The Northern Line isn't too bad on that front. The worst line is definitely the Metropolitan, on which you sometimes find it difficult to stay in your seat it jumps around so much.

LOL :) Must get pretty bad at rush hour then; people standing up and all that...

Queso

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 4, 2006
LOL :) Must get pretty bad at rush hour then; people standing up and all that...
Ironically rush hour's the safest part of the day. Bit difficult to get thrown across the carriage when you're wedged into someone's armpit :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.