Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EK03

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2004
Thought i would just bring this to a different post.

I have a busted powerbook 80GB 4200RPM drive that id like to use in my ipod to try and recover data on it.

Would this work? If it would i would consider getting a cheap 60GB laptop drive and putting it inside my ipod

TLRedhawke

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2004
A laptop drive is 2.5", whereas an iPod drive is 1.8". While theoretically, you could get the laptop drive to work, there's no way you'll be able to make it fit inside. Try a Compact Flash hard drive, though, as both the tech at work, and myself, are convinced that if you can fiddle with the pin outs, you can make it work.

asphalt-proof

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2003
Magrathea
Pretty certain that it won't fit seeing as how the iPod hard drive is 1" and the PB is 3.5" But hey, knock yourself out. :D
Pete
edit: the hard drive sizes: 2.5 for laptop and 1.8 for the iPod (as previously posted).

Lloyd1994

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2004
Orygun
iPod hard drives are 1.8", whereas your powerbook hard drive is 2.5". Unless you made a new iPod case (along with many, many other technical issues that would likely arise) it would not work. If you would like to recover data off of the hard drive I would reccomend getting an external firewire hard drive enclosure or hiring a pro.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Hard drive size aside, wouldn't you be lacking a key software component - the iPod "OS"? Taking a bum drive and installing it into the iPod doesn't give you any additional access to recovery software, and it probably wouldn't even boot up.

I'd follow Lloyd1994's suggestion and go external or pro to get the data. If it's really "busted" then you'll need the services of a professional.

EK03

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2004
how much would a data recovery service run me? Also just to help clarify the actual hard drive doesnt need special ipod software as long as its fat32 it can be read in a windows or mac machine, but hte ipod functions like playing music will not work util you format the ipod.

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
Lloyd1994 said:
iPod hard drives are 1.8", whereas your powerbook hard drive is 2.5". Unless you made a new iPod case (along with many, many other technical issues that would likely arise) it would not work.

why do ppl insist on writing the exact same thing that was written in the three previous posts.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
mashinhead said:
why do ppl insist on writing the exact same thing that was written in the three previous posts.
Look at the post times. They are all within 5 minutes or so of each other. Obviously, the person got beaten to the punch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.