PDA

View Full Version : Gartner Says Three of Top 10 PC Vendors Out by 2007

MacBytes
Nov 29, 2004, 01:52 PM
Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Gartner Says Three of Top 10 PC Vendors Out by 2007 (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20041129145236)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

Nermal
Nov 29, 2004, 02:11 PM
Fujitsu's listed in the top 10 twice :confused:

edesignuk
Nov 29, 2004, 02:13 PM
Fujitsu's listed in the top 10 twice :confused:
Fujitsu & Fujitsu Siemens are different ;)

24C
Nov 29, 2004, 02:22 PM
"only Dell has consistently been profitable in the past several years"...

Pretty loose statement re different marketing/ retail models of the 10, so have the others been cooking the books badly? Anyway, it's nice to see Apple making a top ten:-)

edesignuk
Nov 29, 2004, 02:28 PM
Dell pay for no R&D what-so-ever. They just buy what already exists is massive quantities, put it together and ship it out. Where as the likes of HP & IBM invest heavily in their R&D.

Nermal
Nov 29, 2004, 03:33 PM
Fujitsu & Fujitsu Siemens are different ;)

Really? I'm just going to be American and scream 'Lawsuit!' :D

Reminds me of an ISP ranking thing the local newspaper did the other day. Listed MSN in top position with something like 45% of all customers :eek: followed by the ISP I'm using at 20% (listed as TelstraClear), followed by a third ISP, and then my ISP again with 12% (listed as Paradise - which is owned by TelstraClear). I think I eventually decided that they were listing broadband and dialup customers separately.

TomSmithMacEd
Nov 29, 2004, 06:19 PM
Apple has been profitable for years now hasn't it?

Macmaniac
Nov 29, 2004, 06:35 PM
This is a very poor article. It just mentions the articles and goes into very little detail. And FYI Apple has posted a profit for awhile.

Sun Baked
Nov 29, 2004, 06:57 PM
Apple has been profitable for years now hasn't it?Basically yes, but no mega-profit numbers.

But there are a whole heck of a lot of Form 4s being filed for Apple since 3.24.2004 (insider sales) -- and a big interest in Apple at the same time.

So it probably flew under the reporter's nose, and he thought the company was only profitable during the runup.

mkrishnan
Nov 30, 2004, 12:44 PM
Wow, I didn't realize that Chinese mfr was in the top ten. Anyone know if they sell any PCs that eventually get rebranded and sold in the US or Europe under another name?

Oh, and so...who's gonna get knocked off? *cough* Gateway *cough* :p