PDA

View Full Version : Just got my dual 867...

Omad0n
Aug 21, 2002, 12:21 AM
... and i already have a question. It came with a stock Radeon 9000, but i already have a Radeon 8500. Which do you guys think would be a better card to have in the machine? I know the 900 is newer, but I've heard mixed reviews. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

irmongoose
Aug 21, 2002, 12:33 AM
The 8500. Look for a thread here in Macrumors... just search Radeon or whatver.. and that explains why the 8500 is better.

irmongoose

jefhatfield
Aug 21, 2002, 05:02 AM
congrats on the new dual ! ;)

it just may be the best deal, dollar for dollar, that apple has put out

macworld states that the emac is the best deal ever from apple in a long time...i agree with that...but the review was written before the dual ddr models came out

i wonder what the next macworld will say now about the dual 867?

either way, emac or dual 867, or entry level ibook (which i want), are all amazing deals compared to what apple has put out since i have closely followed them (since 1998)

no doubt in the next four years, apple will put out something very reasonably priced like the dual 867, but a deal that good comes only once every several years

i have a high tech client that is an extreme power user, and his most powerful machine was a dual 500, but he opted for a dual 1 ghz ddr model with the works for a lot of money

he did agree that the dual 867, with tax included, being under 2k, was quite extraordinary

in a nutshell, you scored big time and your timing in buying an apple product was perfect

...unlike me who bought a rev a ibook instead of a rev b ibook which would have at least given me firewire for cool things as the ipod which came out some time later...oh well

i also feel sorry for those who bought one of the last crt imacs, when it was the only imac, right before apple came out with the amazing and versatile, lcd imac

it really is a gamble...who knows, maybe the g5 will come out in january and be in three models...dual 1.2, dual 1.4, dual 1.6..then any g4 purchases in the last six months will seem like a bad choice

but personally, i think the g5 will debut in summer of 2003 at the earliest and perhaps start at 1.5-1.7 ghz at the very least

bousozoku
Aug 21, 2002, 06:15 AM
Congratulations!

The 9000 is like the 7500, so the 8500 should be quite a bit more powerful, even though the 9000 may support some new technology.

pianojoe
Aug 21, 2002, 06:42 AM
Did it come with 10.2? And, slightly OT, is 10.2 the same as 6C115, or are there any known differences?

Omad0n
Aug 21, 2002, 02:04 PM
Just a quick update, it was interesting that the guy at the apple store here in colorado told me it didn't have 10.2 and I'd have to pay 20 to get it, but I checked the system prefs. and yes it is 10.2. Also I was looking through all the discs it came with and there's 10.2 there as well. But not as a stand alone disk, it's part of the software restore disks. So I have another question now, is it possible for me to wipe the HD clean and start with a new 10.2 minus the classic? Oh and thanks for the Graphics card advice guys. That reminds of another thing!!! I can't find 9000 drivers, and I'd like to put that card in my old G4 400 Sawtooth model, but since I can't find drivers it isn't working. Any more help would be greatly appreciated.