Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wmflyfisher

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
Picked up my Defender case this morning from Best Buy. I'm a Conservation Ranger for Georgia State Parks and wear a duty belt at work so I'm constantly having to rig something up to hold my cell phones on the belt because it's so wide (2.25").

Otterbox makes a heavy duty holster for many different defender cases that come with a larger clip to accommodate the duty belt. I contacted OB a few weeks ago asking the possibility of them making an optional duty belt holder for the new iphone 4 defender and they said at the moment there weren't any plans.

Long story even longer :) I had a heavy duty clip at the house from my old Bold 9700. Upon investigating the clip mechanism I quickly learned that it had the exact same internals. You would have thought the OB rep would have known this and I even asked!

I removed the HD clip from the Bold holster and it is a perfect fit!! So if there is anybody out there that wants the new OB Defender case along with the holster to fit their duty belt this is what you will need.

Any of the heavy duty holsters from OB will work but this is what I ordered.

http://www.amazon.com/OtterBox-Heav..._1_2?ie=UTF8&s=wireless&qid=1281806126&sr=8-2

You might could find it even cheaper on Ebay. You will then have to use a set of pliers to remove the inner portion of the clip. Be careful because the plastic might break.

Here are some pics of holster with the new clip. It functions as new and everything. You can see how the clip is held on in the center. You will have to pry those together to pop the clip off. Photos taken with iP4 :) Enjoy!!

1-1.jpg

2-1.jpg

3-1.jpg

thaddeusbear

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2010
Thanks for the tip. Can your show us instructions on how you switched clips without breaking anything?

wmflyfisher

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
Sorry but I don't have any other pics at the moment. It's really easy to do but you will need a set of pliers to squeeze the two tabs together. It should be simple once you see what I'm talking about. The pics can't really describe it.

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
Anyone who does not want to try that mod with the Otterbox should get a Maxpedition 5" phone pouch. Rugged material, with a spring steel clip like a bear trap, which is built for use on a duty belt. Phone pouch will not break off if snagged on a branch. Pouch stretches to fit the Otterbox. The retaining strap on the top of the pouch is sufficiently not too wide to allow the headphone cord to arise unobstructed.

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/5-CLIP-ON-PHONE-HOLSTER-8p444.htm

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.