PDA

View Full Version : Skype

StarbucksSam
Nov 29, 2004, 08:19 PM
I just had a thought. I think at least a few members have Skype names on this site, and probably more than ICQ users. Since ICQ and the other minor IM's (Yahoo) get profile spots, can Skype have one?

MacFan26
Dec 1, 2004, 02:47 AM
Sounds like a cool idea, but I think there's enough ways to contact people, haha :) Isn't that software still in beta anyway? Maybe we should wait until it's a full release. Just put it in the sig for now and maybe there will be enough followers :D.

adt
Dec 1, 2004, 08:06 AM
Isn't that software still in beta anyway? Maybe we should wait until it's a full release. Just put it in the sig for now and maybe there will be enough followers :D.

uh... no. skype has been well-received by internet users (39 million+ downloads!), and, from what i have seen, has taken the place of msn and yahoo in home and work IM communication.

StarbucksSam
Dec 1, 2004, 09:28 AM
I think that Skype is still in beta for Mac, but it's really stable - and their business is booming. It always shows how many users are online at a time and I've seen it hit a million or more.

http://skype.com for those of you who are curious. I have yet to test "SkyeOut".

millar876
Dec 1, 2004, 11:28 AM
i got skype, my skype name is the same as my MR handle

mac ppl skype me if you're on and come accross me.

MacFan26
Dec 1, 2004, 11:33 AM
uh... no. skype has been well-received by internet users (39 million+ downloads!), and, from what i have seen, has taken the place of msn and yahoo in home and work IM communication.
Alright, I knew I was probably wrong about that, but it is still in beta for Mac, so anyway that was my point. Sorry :) Do you really think it's taking the place of Yahoo and MSN?

StarbucksSam
Dec 1, 2004, 12:22 PM
Do you really think it's taking the place of Yahoo and MSN?

Absolutely not. But I wish it would. It's great on voice, but it's not too good on text. The text interface/system is a little clumsy with no features whatsoever at this time; I think that's because it's mainly for audio, but if you're going to do something, you should do it right.

Nermal
Dec 1, 2004, 01:57 PM
but if you're going to do something, you should do it right.

Somebody's been using too many Apple products :D

StarbucksSam
Dec 1, 2004, 02:38 PM
Somebody's been using too many Apple products :D

That's something my Dad has always taught me though, if you're going to do something, you can't do it half-ass, you have to do it right and stick it out. It really works. ;)

Mechcozmo
Dec 1, 2004, 08:27 PM
That's something my Dad has always taught me though, if you're going to do something, you can't do it half-ass, you have to do it right and stick it out. It really works. ;)

"If something is worth doing, it is worth doing badly"
--John Craven

Think about it for a little bit. Deeper than you might think.

StarbucksSam
Dec 2, 2004, 09:31 AM
"If something is worth doing, it is worth doing badly"
--John Craven

Think about it for a little bit. Deeper than you might think.

I'm taking that as... if there is something you want to do, there has to be a real need to do it. Is that it?

Mechcozmo
Dec 2, 2004, 08:36 PM
I'm taking that as... if there is something you want to do, there has to be a real need to do it. Is that it?

Nope.

If something is truly worth doing, like, it is something that really should be done, then no matter what happens it should be done.

If it is worth it to do something, say, spend three years and 100 million dollars building something, then all of the setbacks are just that-- setbacks. The project, the thing, is worth doing, so although you have issues do it anyways.

Know who John Craven is? Try to find out...

StarbucksSam
Dec 2, 2004, 08:56 PM
Are you referring to this man? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Craven

I love wikipedia.

Mechcozmo
Dec 2, 2004, 09:21 PM
Are you referring to this man? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Craven

I love wikipedia.

Nope.

I was referring to the John Craven that did Top-Secret work for the US Navy with spy submarines. He worked on the Halibut project among others. Some cool stuff. The book (I'm forgetting the name! GAH!) about the Cold War and submarines... eh... damnit what was it... anyhoo it mentions him a lot.

Chappers
Dec 3, 2004, 02:55 AM
Having seen the other John Cravens TV programmes - he might have said it too.

Mechcozmo
Dec 3, 2004, 06:32 PM
Did that other John Craven design a submarine that could take pictures of the ocean floor while submerged and also pick up what it saw?

Think not.

musicpyrite
Dec 3, 2004, 07:29 PM
Nope.

I was referring to the John Craven that did Top-Secret work for the US Navy with spy submarines. He worked on the Halibut project among others. Some cool stuff. The book (I'm forgetting the name! GAH!) about the Cold War and submarines... eh... damnit what was it... anyhoo it mentions him a lot.

I though the name John Craven rang a bell, and when you mentioned the spy submarines and the Halibut, I knew exactly what book your talking about. The book is the Blind Man's Bluff.... but I can't seem to find the page where he mentions that quote.... :( :mad:

Mechcozmo
Dec 4, 2004, 01:17 AM
I though the name John Craven rang a bell, and when you mentioned the spy submarines and the Halibut, I knew exactly what book your talking about. The book is the Blind Man's Bluff.... but I can't seem to find the page where he mentions that quote.... :( :mad:

THANK YOU! I have so many books that I cannot find it. It is around the area when there are many problems with Halibut, and he continuously repeats this. He also says something with about a wire brush and to keep smiling... Anyway, its there. :D Thanks again for jogging my memory!

sushi
Dec 4, 2004, 08:20 PM
Nope.

The book was "Blind Man's Bluff".

Sushi

sushi
Dec 4, 2004, 08:22 PM
Oops, guess I was a day late and a dollar short.

Good book.

Sushi

Mechcozmo
Dec 4, 2004, 11:15 PM
Oops, guess I was a day late and a dollar short.

Good book.

Sushi

I'll take a dollar anyday!
And it was a very good book.

StarbucksSam
Dec 5, 2004, 02:34 PM
Well, I'm so glad we have had such a good conversation. EXCEPT IT WASN'T ABOUT SKYPE.

When are they moving this beta to final?

Mechcozmo
Dec 6, 2004, 01:30 AM
Well, I'm so glad we have had such a good conversation. EXCEPT IT WASN'T ABOUT SKYPE.
When are they moving this beta to final?

"Nobody move! We're gonna hijack this thread! Anybody tries to make a move and we'll DoS you all!"

:eek:

Alright, just kidding. Isn't Adium also used by a lot of people?

StarbucksSam
Dec 6, 2004, 09:59 AM
I don't think Adium is that BIG... it's just a known name.

MacFan26
Dec 6, 2004, 11:45 AM
Alright, just kidding. Isn't Adium also used by a lot of people?
Yes, but Adium isn't it's own IM service. You have to have an AIM, Yahoo, etc. screen name to be able to use it. If that was a profile spot, you'd have to include at least one screen name anyway.

johnnyjibbs
Dec 6, 2004, 02:08 PM
I only use Skype for its Mac/PC audio-only conferencing, which works very well. I don't use it for instant messenging because I have iChat and MSN. However, this will become redundant once Tiger apparently adds audio-only conferencing between iChat and AIM 5.5 for Windows.

Skype for Mac is currently a beta and has problems when an audio conference with 3 or more people in it is executed. My experience (2 Mac people and 1 Windows PC) ends up with echoey chaos. Also, there seems to be a bug with respect to PC users recognising when Mac users are online.

Santaduck
Dec 9, 2004, 03:21 AM
1) Blind Man's Bluff: thumbs up
2) Skype listing in use profiles: (thought about it a while, then: ) thumbs up
great suggestion.

StarbucksSam
Dec 9, 2004, 11:53 AM
I have tested out Skype's most recent beta and my findings are as such:

The new features are nice, and nothing is groundbreaking or shocking, but it's cool to have more options.

Quality has not changed, it's still very good. Very MINOR revision.