Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Im in search of a budget app. a great one.

For the longest time I was just thinking about creating one in the Numbers app, and exporting/importing it as much as I needed it to for when working on either my macbook pro and/or the ipad...

But a great finance budget app would be great...

Ashka

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2008
New Zealand
Have tried several but have stuck with PocketMoney from Catamount Software
I understand it was originally written for the Newton.

I also started out syncing Numbers spreadsheets but have kept that for records that don't get changed quite as often as the Cheque book :)

JulianL

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2010
London, UK
I agree. PocketMoney. I think that there is a very restricted light version that is a free download that you can try first but the full version really is feature packed and it's under very active development. Just go to http://catamount.com/forums/ and look how active the forums are and how often the developer (Hardy Macia) posts there.

It also has the advantage that in the next month or so it will be able to sync between versions on the iPhone and iPad (it can already do it in a crude way by emailing transactions between devices but the syncing is being really beefed up in version 3.1 due in the next few weeks but probably September before it hits the App Store) and in about another month there will be desktop clients for the PC (and the Mac I think, I'm a PC guy myself) that can also sync with the iPhone and iPad versions.

It's not cheap compared to some of the other stuff out there but you get what you pay for, and with PocketMoney you get a lot.

Oh, I note that you said "a great budget app". The budgetting bit of the app is going to be the focus of development for version 3.2 which the developer is hoping to release to the approval process in September so in either late Sep or early Oct there should be lots of enhancements to the bugetting capabilities that you see in the current version.

- Julian

jlblodgett

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2008
Is there any way to make the app (Money for iPad) automatically download my financial information? Or am I going to have to upload it, personally?

I have mint.com's app for my iPhone, and it is great. I make an account with mint.com and I am able to have it automatically get my banking info - so every time I start the app I get up-to-the-minute information on my account status.

Money for iPad's support seems lacking to say the least. (A forum is all they have for instructions?) At $19.99 for the full version I would think they would offer a few more features.

EDIT--

Never mind-- talking about two different apps here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.