Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

If you never have problems with your Apple TV, how often do you launch iTunes?

• Never - it stays open permanently (Mac never sleeps or shuts down))

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Never - it stays open permanently (Mac sleeps but never shuts down)

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Monthly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Weekly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Daily

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bilbo--baggins

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 6, 2006
UK
I have iTunes running on my Mac Pro, and keep iTunes open permanently (except for relaunching to solve Apple TV problems). Some people claim to never have problems with the Apple TV, and I'm curious to find out what it is that they are doing differently. I've owned 2 different Apple TV's with exactly the sample problems. I keep the latest versions of the Apple TV software, iTunes and OS X. I use the latest Airport Extreme (and have worked through the various generations of these with regular Apple TV problems).

Problems I have in particular are

1) Black screen with audio playing when playing video (intermittent, and requires Apple TV restart to solve) - press back-up to menus and the menus appear fine.

2) Streamed content in iTunes not appearing on Apple TV, fixed by quitting and relaunching iTunes (not fixed by an Apple TV restart).

Please ONLY answer this poll if you NEVER have these problems.

bilbo--baggins

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 6, 2006
UK
PS. One of the reasons I'm asking, is because the problems I experience tend to occur after the Apple TV and iTunes have been running for a few days.

ie. I suspect people who shut down their Mac every night would probably never experience these problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.