Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2contagious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 29, 2008
UK
Hi,

I am interested in learning how to make iPhone apps. Now, I am more of a graphics guy and have absolutely no experience with coding (except HTML).. What would be the best way to start learning Objective-C and are there any other coding languages that you need to make iPhone apps?

see you,
2c

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
fine art with no experience

Hi,

I am interested in learning how to make iPhone apps. Now, I am more of a graphics guy and have absolutely no experience with coding (except HTML).. What would be the best way to start learning Objective-C and are there any other coding languages that you need to make iPhone apps?

Hi, I'm a coding guy with no experience in art or drawing. What would be the best way for me to create artwork that I could get published on the New Yorker cover or displayed in the Met Museum? Is there a book I could read to learn everything?

Gokunama

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2008
Not all great artists or successful programmers have formal training, aside from that, there's no harm in just trying one's hand at either art or programming as long as one's expectations aren't too high.

davejas69

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2009
why the sarcasm?

Really! Why the sarcasm in the last post? I didn't think the guy wanted to read a book and expect to know everything, he simply asked advice for the best place to start. I was in the same boat, It is overwhelming, not only the subject matter itself but with the overload of information out there, deciding what to BEST concentrate on to best use your time.

jotade11

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2009
If you wanted to get started right away (albeit learning C, not Objective-C) this is a great site that you could quickly go through just to get a basic understanding of Xcode and C: http://masters-of-the-void.com/

I would definitely get on the of the previously recommended books, one of which I'm currently plowing through as best I can :)

Good luck!

davejas69

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2009
Jotade11...thank you so much for posting that Masters of the Void link!!
I had no idea it existed. Looks great!

woodman

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2005
Brooklyn
Another suggestion I would add is get a project. Even if you're just copying an existing app. Better if you have your own idea that you are enthusiastic about though. With a project, you can go back and forth with the books to solve problems that you need to solve to get your app working. Just doing tutorials, I see a lot of people just fizzle out interest.

2contagious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 29, 2008
UK
Thanks for all your tips guys! As already said, I don't expect to be great at this..It will probably be a total failure :D It's just that I'm starting to get interested in it and I thought I might give it a try.. doesn't hurt ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.