Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aesir911

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2010
Does anyone know of a cloner program that can clone the bootcamp windows 7 partition? carbon copy cloner works for mac, and winclone works for windows xp.... but what works with windows 7. i seem to have bootcamp stuck on my old internal drive. can I just create a new partition with bootcamp, then transfer all the files, or will that cause problems?

patrickng89

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2010
winclone works for win7 as well. I just used it 2 days back to swap my drive into the momentus xt. once u swapped your hard drive, run windows and it will run a series of disk checks and starts to reconfigure the system. its all normal.

martinmartin

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
I also used it last week when upgrading to the Seagate Momentus XT.

While it worked, whenever I load boot camp, I get a disk check error.

Windows ends up booting fine (at least it seems fine), but it's not reassuring that I get this error every time.

If anyone has any ideas on how to fix this, I'd greatly appreciate it.

It says:
Checking file system on C:
The type of the file is NTFS
volume labe is Bootcamp.

One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency. You may cancel the disk check, but it is strongly recommended that you continue.
Windows will now check the disk.
Cannot open volume for direct access.
Autochk cannot run due to an error caused by a recently installed software package.
Use the system restore feature from the control panel to restore the system to a point prior to the recent software package installation.
An unspecified error occured (766f6c756d652e63 3f1).

patrickng89

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2010
weird cos the system check only ran once on my bootcamp. after that everything just starts up normally

Kaviar

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2010
Acronis True Image is what I use for imaging my HDD.
Its a fantastic bit of software and definitely worth looking in too.

Macsavvytech

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2010
I can also confirm windows 7 works fine with Winclone. after all it's just the ntfs and Fat32 Winclone is dependent on.
My Windows 7 just wanted to run a chkdsk when i booted it up after winclone test was clean no errors

aesir911

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2010
i no longer have the install disc, but i do have the product key saved on my mac side. is there a way to still use winclone?

martinmartin

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
Well I tried the install again today. This time I turned compression off in winclone settings.

Unfortunately I'm still getting the same error as the one I posted above...

Not sure why.

I deleted the bootcamp partition. Created a new one. Then used winclone to restore the partition from the newly made uncompressed clone. Still getting the error...

Anyone have any ideas how i might fix this?

Edit: I fixed it. Followed the directions here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com...f/thread/a27a8e67-bdb5-4499-948d-072c0d8930c4

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
martinmartin....for future reference, which directions in that thread worked? There are like three different things mentioned that worked for vaious people - one being a hotfix.

wannlong

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2010
Long time check disk

winclone works for win7 as well. I just used it 2 days back to swap my drive into the momentus xt. once u swapped your hard drive, run windows and it will run a series of disk checks and starts to reconfigure the system. its all normal.

I use winclone to create Windows 7 image for restore and i take so long time for check disk after first restart.

aznguyen316

macrumors 68010
Oct 1, 2008
Tampa, FL
I've been trying to use winclone to copy over my Bootcamp partition to a new hdd and it finishes and gets erros check log. Dunno, anyway when I try to boot into windows it either stays on flashing "_" mark and does nothing or a disk read error, ctrl alt delete to restart.. tried several times..

quick questions.. I formatted my HDD (it's a 2nd HDD in dvd caddy) using disk utility to MBR and have 3 partitions, 2 for Mac OSX which work fine and 3rd for Windows. I go into Windows setup to format as NTFS and then reboot to let winclone do it's thing..

will winclone work if it's just simply formatted as FAT32 and convert to NTFS before cloning back? Not sure what the problem is, been working on this all day =( never had problems before on my previous HDD that was in caddy.. guess I'll try to partition using bootcamp assistant next after copying if it doesn't work.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Acronis would be run from your Windows OS (bootcamp or virtual machine install), not from OS X

The fine link even specifically excludes that even though it has worked well for me for my purposes. I have not tried it to backup or restore my Boot Camp partition only external drives connected via USB.

Acronis products do not run under any Windows or Linux operating systems when installed on Apple Mac.

B

jonahlee

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2005
Are you using DMG format + compression turned off? (Necessary for W7/Snow Leopard) per my post earlier in the thread (the link is no longer active).

Can you post the specific errors in the logs.

B

How about the When restoring options, If Vista Detected, if XP Detected and Use ASR? Do you need to set any of those.

So to get this straight, the process is to make a DMG clone of your bootcamp, and then restore it to the new partition?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.