Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
I was taking my D80 on a hiking trip yesterday as I have done so many times over the course of the years. It wasn't raining, but it was moist and at one point we were breaking through the cloud cover. When I tried taking pictures, my camera just wouldn't release the shutter or flip up the mirror. The rest of the camera, however, was apparently under the illusion that I'd take a picture because I got the r06 in the viewfinder (meaning the buffer has space for 6 more RAWs). Nothing got written to the memory card.

Later on, after being on the summit and walking across a ridge, the would take a picture every once in a while, but it wouldn't turn off. When I flipped the on/off switch, it got into an endless cycle where the camera would turn itself on and off.

It wasn't raining at that point and the camera didn't get wet.

Now, after some time, the camera seems to work fine again, but I don't trust it. I've been taking pictures with cameras that weren't weather sealed for years and I've never run into any problems like this even though I went sailing, to the beach and have taken pictures in the rain and snow. I know that you can't make a definite diagnosis from afar, but are these symptoms just due to the moisture or should I think about taking my D80 to the service/replacing it?

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
I think this kind of thing also can happen with lens contact issues. You can try cleaning the contacts on both the lens(es) and the body and see if that fixes it?

I remember once I had my D80 in China a while ago and I was having some intermittent issues. I don't recall completely but I think I cleaned the contacts and things got better. I have not had any trouble with the body ever since.

Ruahrc

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
I think this kind of thing also can happen with lens contact issues. You can try cleaning the contacts on both the lens(es) and the body and see if that fixes it?
I've tried it with two lenses, but perhaps I should clean the contacts either way: I've changed lenses quite a bit, so some dirt may have gotten into places it shouldn't be.

I just hope my body holds up for another year or two so that I can replace it with a full frame body :)

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009

I remember once I had my D80 in China a while ago and I was having some intermittent issues. I don't recall completely but I think I cleaned the contacts and things got better. I have not had any trouble with the body ever since.

Ruahrc

That was the first thing I was going to suggest. My D90 has behaved like that when it had issues with a lens. Also, I've noticed that sometimes I can throw it for a loop if I change lenses while the camera is still on and if I accidently move the aperture ring on my 50mm prime when putting it on. The only other thing that comes to mind is temperature. I had an old Minolta digital that would act squirelly at altitude and in the cold and then would be fine once it warmed up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.