Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xbillion101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2010
Ok, My goal is to by a mac mini that will run 24/7 it will be connected to about 5TB's of storage that will have all my personal data on it.

My goal is to create an FTP server that will host all these files that i can access remotely and let friends and family access it. I pretty much have it all sorted out i just wanted to check with some people on here. To run it i will be using a program called PureFTPd to manage the server and i can create accounts and manage them all through this application.

Does anyone have a better way for me to do this or an alternate application that is better, And also i have connected to my mac book pro remotely using the built in FTP feature and PureFTP so yer, Does anyone else have a better idea for me running a server?

Thanks

DannySmurf

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
Ok, My goal is to by a mac mini that will run 24/7 it will be connected to about 5TB's of storage that will have all my personal data on it.

My goal is to create an FTP server that will host all these files that i can access remotely and let friends and family access it. I pretty much have it all sorted out i just wanted to check with some people on here. To run it i will be using a program called PureFTPd to manage the server and i can create accounts and manage them all through this application.

Does anyone have a better way for me to do this or an alternate application that is better, And also i have connected to my mac book pro remotely using the built in FTP feature and PureFTP so yer, Does anyone else have a better idea for me running a server?

Thanks

If you're not totally set on having a Mac to do this, have a look at a Windows Home Server. It's specifically built for this kind of task.

Thermonuclear

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2009
A Mac Mini can be a useful ftp server, and it can do it without specialized software. For my purposes, OpenSSH and rsync are sufficient.

Remember that the limiting factor is likely your ISP's uplink bandwidth. The Mini can pump out data ten to twenty times faster than most consumer level ISPs can take it in.

indg

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2007
dropbox. $100/yr for 50GB of storage. try it for free with 2GB. auto-sync shared folders to other dropbox users you give permission too. way easier than setting up ftp or getting noobs to use an ftp client. also more secure than standard ftp.

also great for syncing multiple computers for 1password and notes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.