PDA

View Full Version : iPhoto for iPad

harry20larry
Aug 15, 2010, 06:44 AM
Having bought the camera connection kit for iPad I have started using it a lot, especially when going away with my DSLR, since I can import and editing them all on something that isn't even a laptop, which is far better than it sounds...

My only problem is that the in built photo app does a really bad job of organising photos, and I don't even get to choose the name of the event that it puts my photos into. Also, any edit I do get put into the camera roll, when I really want it to over ride the previous version.

I was wondering if anybody know of any iPhoto like iPad apps that have nice photo management tool along side simple editing tools. Ideally I would like photogene to release an update introducing photo management :D

Whilst on topic as well, do we know if apple will be releasing iLife for iPad like it was rumoured back in janurary. I think the iLife apps would be awesome on the iPad!

harry20larry
Aug 16, 2010, 10:55 AM
Found an called photo sort but doesn't look very good, any one know any others

b.c.
Aug 16, 2010, 05:38 PM
I agree it's a big pain that you can't rename photo Albums directly on the iPad, or move photos around to new albums. Addition of that feature would make the iPad a great photography accessory while on the road.

I've not found a 3rd party app that does this, either. but I did send feedback to Apple saying they should add this feature to the iPad Photos app.

fyi I just came back from 2 wks of travel with my DSLR + iPad + Camera Connection Kit - without laptop - and I found that the iPad worked better than I first thought it would as a photo storage device (i.e. as replacement for my existing Epson P-2000 photoviewer)

Each day I would dump my camera's photos to the iPad for safekeeping & viewing, and although you can't manually organize photos, at least each time you upload from camera or memory card, it shows up as a different Event with the current date as a title. uploading is reasonably fast, and you have the option to skip photos you've already uploaded.

for image editing on the iPad, there are 2 apps I'm using:

- PhotoPad - a great free app by Zagg, makers of those screen protectors.
- PS Express - free app by Adobe

the Adobe app was just updated recently for iPad so I didn't play with it much until end of my trip, but PhotoPad came in handy to do some quick edits of photos before I returned home.

Tom G.
Aug 16, 2010, 06:44 PM
I use Photogene for editing on the iPad. I like to edit on it as its larger screen lets me see what I'm doing.

iThinman
Aug 16, 2010, 07:24 PM
your options are very limited right now unless you jailbreak. Even if jailbroken, most mainstream photo editing apps (photogene, filterstorm, ...) do not allow (or are not allowed) to write to any directory other then the saved photos location and are not able to overwrite files.

if jailbroken, you are abllle to place a link within GoodReader to the location where photos are stored and would be able to file-manage the files. However, keep in mind that these files are linked to the thumbnails and other data used by the internal photo app, so I don't know how much i would manipulate them in-place.

You can certainly take edited photos from the saved photos location, copy them, rename them and store them in a new folder for upload/processing from there to a PC.

abriwin
Dec 14, 2010, 04:12 PM
I used my iPad on holiday in Japan in September. Every couple of days I'd load up my SD chips onto the iPad. It did a sort of bearable job splitting events according to the date the images were shot. No editing of titles no means of tagging but worse to come!
I upgraded to iOS 4.2! All events sorted (sort of) according to date were lost! Replaced with - 101IMPRT, 102IMPRT etc. now just how useless is that. One giant leap for iOS, one big failure for Apple. How is it no-one checked the software before foisting it on the public. Even the hyped folders was misrepresentation. Just folders for apps and nothing else. I could do that before the upgrade to 4.2.1 so that was nothing new anyway.
Only around three apps on the iTunes shop are reasonable but none are as good as iPhoto '09. Why, oh why, hasn't Apple ported iLife over to the iPad or might we see it next year?
In the meantime I gave up trying to organise my images on the Pad and used iPhoto on my MBA 12"

b.c.
Dec 15, 2010, 11:27 AM
I upgraded to iOS 4.2! All events sorted (sort of) according to date were lost! Replaced with - 101IMPRT, 102IMPRT etc. now just how useless is that....

do you mean that you already had imported photos on your iPad, and then upgraded to iOS4.2 and the names were changed? I think I saw something similar when I first upgraded with my old already-imported files using the CCK. but for me it wasn't a bother because I had already downloaded those photos back to my computer.

but anyhow under 4.2, when importing new photos, the behavior seems same as with 3.2 - each time you import a card, you get an "Event" marked with today's date.

perhaps try importing some new cards and see what you get

The Boat Guy
Dec 15, 2010, 11:56 AM
The same 101MRPT on upgrade to 4.2 happened to me, just realized after your post, thanks for identifying it. Explains why I'd not been able to find stuff in the sameplace. Shame as it kind of looses your thread in showing folks photos on your iPad. At least I put them into Aperture!