Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
This is the first I've seen of this possibility... According to this EETimes.com article:

The company is also expected to offer dual processor versions of the iMac for the first time, though those models might not be unveiled until an event in Tokyo later this year.

Later, they mention that possibly all systems except Laptops would go to dual processors. Personally, I've thought moving all PowerMac's to duals would be a promising way to bump speed with lagging PPC development (mhz wise).... but would iMac customers want this? And would they want to pay the extra $$$ that would be built into the price of dual-processor iMacs?

Also mentioned is the possibility of an even larger Cinema Display:

In addition to the desktops, Apple is expected to roll out a new high-end desktop LCD monitor. The existing 22-inch Apple Cinema Display, which sports a 1,600 x 1,024 resolution, will be superceded by a model with a 2,048 x 1,280 display.

chibianh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2001
Colorado
OSX on dual G3?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but i'm a newbie :)wouldn't a dual g3 imac run osx smooth enough to make the people who complain about how slow osx runs on their g3 happy?

kishba

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2001
Michigan
i thought it was impossible for dual g3's to work... only g4s or g5s

does that mean new DUAL g4s in an iMac? i think not.

B

boredincali

moving to dual processors would be a step in the right direction to harness the power of OSX, but is this enough to live up to apple's hype.... nope...

IndyGopher

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2001
Indianapolis, IN
Dual G3's? Um... no?

It was my understanding that one of the reasons Apple rushed Motorola on the original G4's was because the G3 core didn't support multiple processors in any sort of meaningful way. Granted, it has been a long time since this was all hashed out, but I am pretty certain this is still the case. So, unless these iMacs in questions would be dual G4 iMacs..

ennerseed

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2002
display

well if they made it 24 inches the rez would make it high rez like the ibook right??

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
re dual g3's

I think you're right - G3's can't do dual easily...

as for the theoretical question however.... Dual processored (g3's if possible) would make OS X overall smoother/more responsive.

Individual tasks wouldn't necessarily go faster than a single processor machine - for example, window resizing wouldn't likely go any faster... but overall system would work better as OS X distributes processes to both processors very well.

arn
dual 800

B

Beej

Re: OSX on dual G3?

Originally posted by chibianh
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but i'm a newbie :)wouldn't a dual g3 imac run osx smooth enough to make the people who complain about how slow osx runs on their g3 happy?

Yes it would. But dual processor macs are not aimed at making the OS run smoothly though, they're aimed much more at graphic and movie applications.

Personally, I think this is VERY unlikely. iMacs are aimed at consumers, PowerMacs are aimed at everything higher. DP iMacs would eat into the PowerMac's market.

The only way I could see this happening is if there was a HUGE jump in the speed of the PowerMacs. Either quad processors (highly unlikely), the announcement of fast G5s (unlikely), or leaps and bounds in the processor speeds of the G4 (possible).

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001

Personally, I think going to a full dual-processor PowerMac line would be great.

Could they do this without raising prices significantly? Not sure... PPC's are still more expensive than their AMD counterparts... Not sure how they compare to intel prices...

arn

chmorley

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2002
Denver, CO
Tame

Much too tame, given the hype--especially the "Backstage pass to the future" line. While it could be one of the lesser announcements, it just sounds too expensive.

I'm doubtful.

CJM

Q

QTboy

This one is big...

In addition to the desktops, Apple is expected to roll out a new high-end desktop LCD monitor. The existing 22-inch Apple Cinema Display, which sports a 1,600 x 1,024 resolution, will be superceded by a model with a 2,048 x 1,280 display.

This one is big, even by our standards.

Do we see a pattern?

F

flutedrumr

that screen resolution would be capable of showing the HDTV standards [largest being 1920x1080]... it'd be nice to be able to watch stuff recorded high-definition in it's native format.

iapplemac

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2001
Dual G3

You can't do Dual G3's they dont support it. Dual G4's that makes more like it if the G5 isnt ready

amichalo

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2001
Re: This one is big...

Originally posted by QTboy

This one is big, even by our standards.

Do we see a pattern?

I think you win the award for figuring out that riddle. Now havge a go at the other ones!

thinmann

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2001
Avid?

ok i know this is off subject, but what if apple did buy avid and they big thing is an apple workstation?

it would be the ultimate machine for digital video..
fits right in to the digital lifestyle.

mitcho

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2002
If they can make a dual processor at a good price point, it *would* go a good way towards the hype. I think with IBM's new revision of the G3, DP might be possible... but I haven't read enough on them yet.

Personally, I think DP iMacs would be a bad idea. As was mentioned earlier, this would cut away from the PowerMac's market, except for the fact that these DP iMacs wouldn't have AltiVec. That AltiVec (Velocity Engine) has some great advantages for some scientific and graphic users... even more of an advantage than DP, some times.

I also think a full DP/MP PowerMac line would not be a good thing, at least until we see iMac G4s. The thing that distinguishes the line the most besides demographic is G3 vs. G4. If SP vs. DP/MP also becomes a standard differentiation between the two lines, the performance gap between the top shelf iMac and the slowest PowerMac would be too much--not a slick move.

In considering the above, I conclude that, if possible pricewise, it would be a good idea to take this opportunity for Apple to move at least some iMacs to the G4. The transition needs to happen sometime, and then they could have more PowerMacs have standard DP.

mitcho@mitcho.com

treknerd

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2001
No Duel Processor iMacs

It is unlikly that Apple will release duel processor iMacs for two reasons.

1) To the best of my knowledge, the g3 is still not multiprocessor capable.

2) If duel G4's were used instead, Apple would have to greatly improve the PowerMacs (i.e. with a G5, but it is very unlikely that they will be released at MWSF).

Also, the price of having duel processors would shoot up the iMacs beyond their low prices, giving Apple nothing to compete against in the "Cheap Desktop PC" area.

TylerL

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2002
I remember reading somewhere that the current resolution of the Cinema Display is already pushing the limits of the ADC(/DVI) connection.
...any insight into this?

markseaton

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2001
mac mad man
Dual G3

I predicted a few days back at day 7 what apple had up its sleave and so far i have been almost dead on. I thought that apple would produce the LCD iMac in dualy's, and apple had plans for a PDA "but that video almost made me cry with joy" and a 1ghz G4 with udgrades to the motherbord like DDR, 266bus, AGP Pro.. i think apple will still suprise us all in 4 days i can't wait

oh and as to a G3 not being able to support dual cpu that could be wrong, the G4 is only a revised G3 with the altec engine added and in the new rev they just added more, 3 altec engines but i was under the inpresion that the core are the same in both the G3 and G4 so it sould support dual configs

markseaton

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2001
mac mad man
ADC

Apple's ADC conector can support anything that the video card can dish out, as it is the resolution 2024x1900 or whatever.. is much lower then curent hi rez computer displays HDTV is not nearly as HI REZ as what a computer can display.

B

Beej

Dueling G4s

I think we want dual G4s... duel G4s would fight each other ;)

eroscott

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2002
Steve, I Know What It Would "BE" If It Were Up To Me

Think Different. Think Simple.

Steve, I Know What It Would "BE" If It Were Up To Me.

If it were up to me in 3 days I'd be announcing... a new vision... integrated "apple" products that hang from an invisible "tree" (airport)...

An extra large Cinema Display that I can sit in my living room and use as a TV that I can control with my iBook, with a TiVO-like recorder on my airport network, connect my iBook and iPod to play iMovies and iTunes (with AWESOME VISUALS... HOT) and an internet surfing station that I can control thru airport and my iBook, iMac, iPod?

I want to live in an "Orchard," Scott

Think Big. Delicious.

macboy

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2001
No Dual G3 for the iMac.

If apple does a complete redesign of the iMac then it will have a G4 chip meaning that the G5 PowerMacs will be launched because the G4 iMac would take too much business away from teh G4 PowerMacs.

Why waster the time and money to redesign the iMac and not give it a new processor.

Just Think! Like apple says... Think Different.

When Apple launched to old color iMacs again, everyone was unhappy. They went back because people complained about the Blue Dal and the Flower Power. They can't afford to have more unhappy mac users if they launch the same style iMac in Snow, Indigo and Graphite. Yes I like these colors but they have been used too many times. Apple needs something new for their iMacs. Don't get me wrong.. I love the shape of the iMac but I think it is time for Apple to re-invent the iMac.

MasterX (OSiX)

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2001
Re: Dual G3

Originally posted by markseaton
oh and as to a G3 not being able to support dual cpu that could be wrong, the G4 is only a revised G3 with the altec engine added and in the new rev they just added more, 3 altec engines but i was under the inpresion that the core are the same in both the G3 and G4 so it sould support dual configs

Revised G3? That's a laugh. You must realize that making a CPU, designed and producing rather, is not some simple task like building a Web Page w/iTools.
Motorola may lag WAY too much, but the G4 was COMPLETELY rebuilt for two things: Performance and well performance, but in MP configs.
[The G3 was built in a Quad-200Mhz config it retailed for $10,000 and ran at 375Mhz Effective. Each G3 did 1/2 the one before it.]
G3s can't MP, MERCI and MERC are needed and only the G4 has them. The technologies like sharing ram and data-loads are important, and working in harmony on a single Daughtercard requires fine-tuning.

In conclusion the G4 in a DP config makes too much heat to work in a fanless iMac. Especially with it's supposedly smaller design. PS I think "Big" refers to the expo, not a new ADC. Although if each day was a hint to something they make how cool would that be? I'm so tired right now....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.