PDA

View Full Version : Sony takes on iPod with new hard disk Walkman

MacBytes
Nov 30, 2004, 01:19 PM
Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Sony takes on iPod with new hard disk Walkman (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20041130141954)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

zelmo
Nov 30, 2004, 01:26 PM
Sony doesn't like "dominance by just one company," unless of course that one company is Sony. :rolleyes:

I cannot yet imagine what the product will be that will take the market away from Apple and the iPod. Apparently neither can any of the so-called players in this market. And with Apple set to deliver a flash player next year, the competition is going to face a tougher road over the next year or two.

Go Apple!

wrldwzrd89
Nov 30, 2004, 01:31 PM
Unless Sony can build a decent user interface, both on the hardware and software sides, and they make the software upgradable, the new Walkman won't make significant inroads against the iPod. Keep in mind, though, that none of these companies dare to compete in the Mac market, leaving that to Apple - meaning that the iPod's market share cannot go below a certain number. What that number is is not known to me.

AoWolf
Nov 30, 2004, 02:38 PM
They just don't get it. The thing most people are paying for with the iPod is the name and the coolness. They can make it Mp3 compatible all they want but if its not cool it won't sell.

Fender2112
Nov 30, 2004, 02:53 PM
Whatever! :rolleyes:

dsharits
Nov 30, 2004, 03:11 PM
Better quality compression that allows twice as many songs to be stored on the same size drive? If that kind of technology is out there, why wouldn't Apple have some part in it? These people just don't get it. 64 kbps is not the same quality as 128 kbps AAC any day. False advertising, once again.

Daniel

StarbucksSam
Nov 30, 2004, 03:13 PM
I think my Apple stock will survive the threat of SONY. :rolleyes:

nagromme
Nov 30, 2004, 04:01 PM
A whole new product launch and model number just because they FINALLY added something so basic as MP3 playback? (I wonder how well the first two 8Trac-only models of NW-HD have sold :D )

Sony wants you to think you can have better quality AND fit more songs than an iPod AND have it all be MP3. That makes it worth paying more for the 20GB NW-HD3 than for a 20GB iPod. (Just so long as ease-of-use and access to the biggest and best music store don't matter!)

The truth is, you can fit more songs OR have it be MP3, not both--and either way, you get lower quality than AAC/MP4 music on an iPod. MP3s don't fit more OR sound better on an NW-HD3 vs. an iPod. And for that matter, nothing is going to beat the quality of Apple Lossless, if that's your goal.

Here's why you should ignore Sony's claims to fit more music: you must use their 8Trac format, which is among the worst-quality out there. They can slap a "plus" on it, but if that magically fixes the defect and gives you a free lunch, I haven't heard about it :)

ATRAC3 is worse than WMA... and that's saying something:
http://www.cd-rw.org/news/archive/5257.cfm

And forget Connect:
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/06/technology/circuits/06stat.html?ex=1084420800&en=0dd3fc159f89dba5&ei=5062&partner=GOOGLE
Ouch!

Disclaimer: I'm biased, I finally got an iPod :) (And now that I have, scrolling through long lists, I can see why nothing but a touchwheel--with auto-acceleration, no less--can do the job as well.)

macridah
Nov 30, 2004, 04:12 PM
I would suggest companies stop over promising and under delivering. To create a product to kill another product just makes them sound like they have an inferiority complex. I would try to be a silient giant killer, but then again, that's also a losing situation against the iPod :D

bousozoku
Nov 30, 2004, 05:48 PM
There is a difference in the price and that's not allowed by the EU. Will the British complain that they're paying too little? :D

Whatever the cost, it's too much for too little. Sony don't understand the ease of use factor, nor do the others. It's what's putting Apple above the rest.

neonart
Nov 30, 2004, 09:13 PM
Certain products create a dominance that cannot be easily taken. Take the NES, the Walkman, the Genesis, and the Playstation. All of them were eventually replaced and overtaken, but in their era they were unstoppable.

The iPod is just reaching it's peak, and nothing will be able de-throne it for quite some time. Even if other products come, Apple is a different company with the ability to innovate. That makes them even more capable of maintaining the product dominance that the companies that sold the above mentioned products could not.

It'll be some time before anyone can take the iPod's massive rule of the Digital Music Revolution. MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH....

crazyipod
Nov 30, 2004, 10:47 PM
I dont even know why they even bother competing with the iPod. When every major company is making accessories for the iPod you know the game is over. iPod wins. The next big question is who will win the mp3/ movie player race. I hope apple has something nice up it sleeve.

combatcolin
Dec 1, 2004, 06:04 AM
I dont even know why they even bother competing with the iPod. When every major company is making accessories for the iPod you know the game is over. iPod wins. The next big question is who will win the mp3/ movie player race. I hope apple has something nice up it sleeve.

As much as i like the iPod, statements like these "were the best so why bother improving our products" are a sure fire path to failure.

Agree with what you say about the movie/video playback race.

Still way too early to call.

mrsebastian
Dec 1, 2004, 12:15 PM
poor "lil" sony... not! they blew it so big. i've had a few walkmen over the years and always loved them. i was as fanatical about them as i am with the ipod now. even when the walkmen got lots of competition i stuck with sony, because their product was much better in my eyes... anyway on to the main point. if sony would have gotten their head out of their ass several years ago, i'm sure i'd be listening to a walkman mp3 player right now instead of the ipod. they were the pioneers and have plenty of brand recognition with not only the sony name, but the walkman. if they would have been the first to bring a high capacity player, they would have had an instant market with all the prior walkman fans, hence would probably be running the market like before... losers! go apple go!!

1rottenapple
Dec 1, 2004, 12:56 PM
Although I won't buy one (I love my mini) I think it is good that companies keep trying. More competition means Apple doesn't sit on it laurels, and lower prices which ultimately benefits the consumer.