Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jusfer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
USA Intermountain West
Yesterday, I installed my free bumper onto my fully invisible-shield-clad iP4.

While the bumper fit over the IS-wrapped sides (metal frame) and probably made it fit a bit tighter than without IS, it did not interfere with the front and back films. The bumper's rubber lips could easily be helped over the IS edges without interference.

Unfortunately, this is where the positive or neutral evaluation ends. The bumper is, of course, not able to neutralize the tackiness, fingerprint-o-philic properties and orangeskinness of the Zagg IS. What's worse, I am now looking at a phone that lost all its sleek metal-frame appeal of the iP4, lost the secure grippiness of the relatively sharp-edged metal frame, the welcome tackiness of IS on that frame (there it is welcome, and where it does a decent job of preventing the antenna issue) and, in turn, traded all that for a dull and bland looking, black-on-black, cumbersome wrap around the phone, which, on top of all that, is slippery and thus harder to grip when lying flat on a table (at least for this poster's dry hands), but with its rubber edges doesn't slip in and out of my pocket nicely any more.

In other words, I hate the bumper, and I still hate the Zagg.

As soon as I gain enough confidence not to drop the phone again ever (yeah, right!), I will remove the bumper again, leave the side IS wrap, remove the IS from front and back and replace it with I-don't-know-what yet. I am still torn between the oleophobic/matte and clear options.

CJisohsocool

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2009
Geez theres no pleasing you is there?!?!?! lol

a Matte screen protector will reduce the clarity of the screen and give you a grain/snow look. An oleophobic coated screen protector is just like a regular clear/invisible film just apparently easier to wipe away fingerprints and a oil resistant. Bumpers are stupid period, I'd say just get a regular case but apparently that takes away too much of the iPhone's look, Then again if you drop it it'll be protected and you wont have to pay another 200-700 dollars depending on if you have insurance. But hey as long as the phone looks good who cares.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Screen protectors are completely garbage. Why pay to reduce the quality of the screen that you paid for? It's like paying for someone to rob you but not reap any benefits of insurance. It's a lose-lose situation. For me, a bumper works just fine without some cheap film.

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
Screen protectors are completely garbage. Why pay to reduce the quality of the screen that you paid for? It's like paying for someone to rob you but not reap any benefits of insurance. It's a lose-lose situation. For me, a bumper works just fine without some cheap film.

Anti glare protectors keep finger prints off the screen. Well worth it in my opinion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.