PDA

View Full Version : Network hiccups, dropped internet connection, locked up screen/file sharing

Bovine of War
Aug 15, 2010, 02:17 PM
Hello all. I will try to make this as brief as possible.

I am having an issue where on my Ethernet network (which includes 4 to 5 computers at any given time, all running 10.6.4) connections are timing out, internet connection drops randomly throughout the day, and file/screen sharing dies and then locks up the finder of the master sharing computer forcing a restart.

This is for a home business and we have one computer that is screen shared by my wife and I for work. The house has RJ-45 jacks in the house so there isn't any wireless networks in play here.

The cable modem goes into the TimeCapsule which is my router (and does broadcast a WLAN for my hand-held devices). This runs into a Netgear GS605v3 5 port-switcher in my office and an old Lynksys "b" wireless router that I am using as a switcher for the moment (DHCP is off as is wireless and the net connection is plugged into one of the 4 center jacks and not the WAN jack for internet routing). From these devices it is simply RJ-45 cables to the respective computers.

I am in NO way an expert on networking and I have no clue where to start looking for conflicts that would affect the symptoms mentioned above. Any help or tips would be appreciated very much. Thank you so much in advance!