Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
My question is pretty simple. Can I store virtual machine files on an external disk? I use Parallels 5 and have an Intel X 25 160 SSD and to conserve space I was wondering if I can move the virtual machine file out of Users/Me/Documents/Parallels folder to an external disk and load it from there?

I tried and received an error message. Something about a pvm file not compatible? Hopefully I worded my question right lol. Thanks

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
My question is pretty simple. Can I store virtual machine files on an external disk? I use Parallels 5 and have an Intel X 25 160 SSD and to conserve space I was wondering if I can move the virtual machine file out of Users/Me/Documents/Parallels folder to an external disk and load it from there?

I tried and received an error message. Something about a pvm file not compatible? Hopefully I worded my question right lol. Thanks

I tend to use VMWare, and this is definitely not an issue there. I even have some VMs on my NAS. Hopefully some Parallels user may be able to help.

B

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Yes, I've done this using Parallels ... in fact I just did it using a backup to double check. My external drive is FW800, HFS+ formatted.

Not sure what your error is about. What's the exact error?

I've even run Parallels VMs over a network. Not recommended, it's so slow. It's better to use a Firewire 800 drive (or eSata if your computer supports is) since USB or FW400 will be slow (usable, but the speed difference is noticeable).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.