Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cleverboy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
When I downloaded Vlingo on Saturday, I noticed that SMS and Text carried an extra charge. When I gave it SMS or Email commands, it showed a purchase button. Then I heard Vlingo had responded to Google's recent Voice Commands announcement by making Vlingo FREE in Android Market. As an iPhone user, I felt a little slighted... but nevertheless, I decided to purchase the SMS/Email package today for $9.99 ($6.99 for SMS only).

When I tapped the button, it didn't ask for my in-app purchase iTunes password. It simply pushed it through, and suddenly I had SMS and Email. I checked my purchase history some hours later, and sure enough, nothing had been purchased. I've tested the SMS and it now works fine.

Is Vlingo updating the iPhone app, and waiting for an App Store update to remove the pricing indicators... but has in the mean time made the service COMPLETELY free for iPhone? I checked the Twitter feed, but haven't seen anything. Ovi Store still has Vlingo Plus for $2.99.

Anyone else have the same experience?

~ CB

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
When I downloaded Vlingo on Saturday, I noticed that SMS and Text carried an extra charge. When I gave it SMS or Email commands, it showed a purchase button. Then I heard Vlingo had responded to Google's recent Voice Commands announcement by making Vlingo FREE in Android Market. As an iPhone user, I felt a little slighted... but nevertheless, I decided to purchase the SMS/Email package today for $9.99 ($6.99 for SMS only).

When I tapped the button, it didn't ask for my in-app purchase iTunes password. It simply pushed it through, and suddenly I had SMS and Email. I checked my purchase history some hours later, and sure enough, nothing had been purchased. I've tested the SMS and it now works fine.

Is Vlingo updating the iPhone app, and waiting for an App Store update to remove the pricing indicators... but has in the mean time made the service COMPLETELY free for iPhone? I checked the Twitter feed, but haven't seen anything. Ovi Store still has Vlingo Plus for $2.99.

Anyone else have the same experience?

~ CB

Only way to confirm is if you see it on a receipt. Did you purchase anything before you did the in-app purchase? The password may have carried over.

Cleverboy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Only way to confirm is if you see it on a receipt. Did you purchase anything before you did the in-app purchase? The password may have carried over.
That was my assumption at first, but on review, I haven't purchased anything on the iPhone during the same time. In fact, been doing some research at the time, scratching my head about why Vlingo doesn't show up when searching the App Store on the iPad (even as an iPhone app). So, after firing up iTunes, I confirmed it hadn't been pulled, and then decided to go ahead and finally purchase the SMS/Email function. I'd been only looking at Vlingo related issues for the last 20 minutes by the time I tapped to purchase.

The REAL "only way to confirm" would be if someone (like you) downloaded Vlingo, then... maybe an hour later, tapped to purchase the SMS/Email option and waited for the password request (or not). My understanding was that EVEN if you'd just purchased something from the App Store, an "in-app purchase" would still immediately confirm. Regardless, I'd imagine it would show up in your purchase history as well (which it currently doesn't for me).

As of right now... nothing in my payment history.

~ CB

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
That was my assumption at first, but on review, I haven't purchased anything on the iPhone during the same time. In fact, been doing some research at the time, scratching my head about why Vlingo doesn't show up when searching the App Store on the iPad (even as an iPhone app). So, after firing up iTunes, I confirmed it hadn't been pulled, and then decided to go ahead and finally purchase the SMS/Email function. I'd been only looking at Vlingo related issues for the last 20 minutes by the time I tapped to purchase.

The REAL "only way to confirm" would be if someone (like you) downloaded Vlingo, then... maybe an hour later, tapped to purchase the SMS/Email option and waited for the password request (or not). My understanding was that EVEN if you'd just purchased something from the App Store, an "in-app purchase" would still immediately confirm. Regardless, I'd imagine it would show up in your purchase history as well (which it currently doesn't for me).

As of right now... nothing in my payment history.

~ CB

I just downloaded it in iTunes and will sync my iPhone soon. I'll report what happens.

Edit: Prompted me for password.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.