PDA

View Full Version : Who here has bought a new Mac?

topicolo
Aug 21, 2002, 08:33 AM
So who here has bought new mac?

teabgs
Aug 21, 2002, 08:58 AM
Well, I've ordered the dual 1.25 PowerMac....so, I'm waiting for it....

I technically did buy, yet I dont have it :( oh well, soon....

BTW got a very good deal from Backtothemac ala General Cybernetics (you've seen the ads). give them a holler when you want your next mac, they got the goods at the good prices :D;)

topicolo
Aug 21, 2002, 09:31 AM
My next mac will probably be a laptop (either a Tibook or an ibook), but I'm trying to save up money for medical school right now so I don't think I'll be able to afford anything for the time being. I wonder if general cybernetics offers the apple educational discounts? that, and the free 512mb ram would be sweet :)

djniche
Aug 21, 2002, 09:40 AM
i basically changed my old setup. I had a pentium 500mhz laptop and replaced it with a 667 powerbook. And I replace my old G4 for a 17" Imac. Love that new 17" widescreen.

I wanted to go for new powermac but I will wait until the next revision. I hope it gets to at least 1.6 or even 1.8.

djniche
Aug 21, 2002, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by topicolo
My next mac will probably be a laptop (either a Tibook or an ibook), but I'm trying to save up money for medical school right now so I don't think I'll be able to afford anything for the time being. I wonder if general cybernetics offers the apple educational discounts? that, and the free 512mb ram would be sweet :)

get the powerbook - it's more money but well worth it! plus you get a G4 that works best with jaguar. You'll love the tibook, for sure the best overall design and performace.

Dr_Floyd
Aug 21, 2002, 09:43 AM
i buy two macs a year. I just gota 867 and am waiting till jan or feb. for my next laptop

topicolo
Aug 21, 2002, 09:48 AM
do you do that with your own money, or is it on a company budget? 2 macs a year for your house would be crazy :). Where would you put the stuff after 5 years worth of macs? I can only dream...

oldMac
Aug 21, 2002, 09:50 AM
I'm holding out for the dual processor Titanium!
Hope that comes out some day. :)

In the meantime, I'm pushing my iBook to its potential these days, and just added an external 80GB firewire drive.

Getting ready to sell my B&W G3 400 w/ 768MB RAM. Any ideas on the best place to sell that? Ebay?

Backtothemac
Aug 21, 2002, 09:52 AM
Top,

The only people that can offer educational discounts on Apples is Apple. They are very strick on this point with resellers. Thanks for the props tea.

How is the GF's iBook? Snappy?

:)

goglamosh
Aug 21, 2002, 10:26 AM
just bought a 17" iMac. should be getting it here soon, today.

firewire2001
Aug 21, 2002, 10:49 AM
gosh.. is this the first poll since polls have been re-enabled..

:rolleyes:

teheheheeehehehe

topicolo
Aug 21, 2002, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Backtothemac
Top,

The only people that can offer educational discounts on Apples is Apple. They are very strick on this point with resellers. Thanks for the props tea.

It seems that university/college computer stores sell the comps with the discount tho.

Spike Spiegel
Aug 21, 2002, 12:06 PM
i ordered a dual gig with the expected shipping windpw pf 3-5 days, it has now been 8 days and it hasnt even shipped. The rep i talked to said not only that it hadnt shipped, but that it hadnt even begun to be assembled yet, and that i might not get it until after LABOR DAY!:mad:

3rdpath
Aug 21, 2002, 12:10 PM
i picked up a QS dual 1ghz after the price drop...just couldn't wait any longer and i'm a little skeptical of the new transitional G4's...a huge jump up from my g3 233 which has been a rock-solid workhorse since i bought it in 1997.

i really like the new case design though-a nice homage to the muscle-car era.

bertinman
Aug 21, 2002, 12:24 PM
howdy,
maybe I can post now...
Been tryin' ever since I was forced to sign up back during the NY expo.

Anyway, is there a post limit on who can use the polls? I've never been able to use one (this one included).

- Bert

( Don't own a Mac per-say but I do have a barrel of fun with Darwin x86 on my PC's at home and work :cool: )

jrbohorquezg
Aug 21, 2002, 12:49 PM
I ordered a PM DP867Mhz. It should be getting here today, so as of right now, I'm changing my signature.

Macmaniac
Aug 21, 2002, 05:00 PM
Anyone got $2000 for a new powermac they want to spare? My iMac CRT 700mhz is starting to feel slow........

(Steals jrbohorquezg's pants);)

bousozoku
Aug 21, 2002, 05:59 PM
I bought my dual 800 in June, but you didn't give me a choice to vote for that. :(

Anyway, as usual, my timing is perfect and it's been eclipsed by the bottom of the new line. :D It's fast anyway, so I don't care so much that it's not the fastest.

teabgs
Aug 21, 2002, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by Backtothemac
Top,

How is the GF's iBook? Snappy?

hehe...no problem man...Mr. Macrumors hookup! ;)

The GF's iBook is great...she loves it, got it earlier today...She's next tome on it setting up some preferences and such to make it as customized to her as she can.....then we gotta d/l some shareware etc...

Thanks again man!

topicolo
Aug 21, 2002, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by bousozoku
I bought my dual 800 in June, but you didn't give me a choice to vote for that. :(

Anyway, as usual, my timing is perfect and it's been eclipsed by the bottom of the new line. :D It's fast anyway, so I don't care so much that it's not the fastest.

Yeah, I tried to add more options, but the poll's maximum limit is 10 so there :p :D

Dr_Floyd
Aug 21, 2002, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by topicolo
do you do that with your own money, or is it on a company budget? 2 macs a year for your house would be crazy :). Where would you put the stuff after 5 years worth of macs? I can only dream...

some of them I buy with my money

Mr. Anderson
Aug 21, 2002, 10:46 PM
If I'm going to drop 7-10k on a new machine, I want something more than 25 times faster than what I have now. So I'll be waiting for the next gen processor - get the fastest available, 2-3 LCD displays (hoping for wide format 19")

This won't happen until 2003, is my guess. And if the Power4 comes in, it might even be 50 to 100 times the speed of a 450 G4 (I hope they come out with a quad)

So that's my dream/plan. Come talk to me in 6 months....

D

teabgs
Aug 21, 2002, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet
If I'm going to drop 7-10k on a new machine, I want something more than 25 times faster than what I have now. So I'll be waiting for the next gen processor - get the fastest available, 2-3 LCD displays (hoping for wide format 19")

This won't happen until 2003, is my guess. And if the Power4 comes in, it might even be 50 to 100 times the speed of a 450 G4 (I hope they come out with a quad)

So that's my dream/plan. Come talk to me in 6 months....

D

damn duke.....10k? I wish....I just dropped a bunch and once I get all the goodies I want to add on it'll prolly get to around 8-9k.....well, ok maybe 10k....sheesh

Though its replacing a 6500, so its gonna be a lot more then a 25% upgrade...

Also, speaking of peripherals....hows the Contour Shuttle Pro working out?