PDA

View Full Version : 15" PowerBook Ti won't load CD

Slrman
Aug 16, 2010, 06:44 PM
I have a 1GHz Titanium Powerbook with 1 GB Ram running OSZ105.8. I will accept CD or DVD but after a few seconds, ejects it. It seems to start loading, but never completes. It did this originally and I reset the PMU and everything worked fine for a while. Now, it's doing it again and resetting the PMU does nothing.

I'd reload the OSX (I have the CDs) But, if it won't accept the CD, that would be a problem. :o

When I Repair Disk Permissions I get three error messages at the end.

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/user/sbin/pppd" has been modified and will not be repaired.

and

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/user/sbin/vpnd" has been modified and will not be repaired.

and

ACL found but not expected on "Applications Utilities".

I am not sure what any of these mean and so have been reluctant to delete them until I know what I'm doing. If I could reload the OSX, I'd "Go boldly forth where this man has never been before" But my motto has always been, "If you don't know what you're doing, then don't."

Thanks for any hints. I'd really like to use this for reading ebooks in my easy chair or even the movie now and then. It was working great for that. :)

d88co88
Aug 16, 2010, 09:50 PM
Sounds like a dead optical drive. Powerbookmedic.com has good prices IMO and some good guides on how to replace it, although I don't know if OWC does or not.