PDA

View Full Version : Does Netflix work outsite the US

SoundMan
Aug 16, 2010, 09:08 PM
Hi

I'm trying to find out if Netflix would work outside the US so i can watch netflix on my ipad in Ont CDN.

I have a us address but only spend 6 months in the us even if we go that year.

I would hate to buy 12 $9.99 month cards and netflix won't even let me stream in CDN.

Thanks

BTW,I know Netflix is coming to CDN but we never get what the us gets

joschlichting
Aug 16, 2010, 10:27 PM
Just tried it on a trip to Europe where it didn't work.
Netflix displayed a message that basically went like this: "content can not be displayed to to legal restrictions/territories"

Don't know about Canada, as the movie studios often see USA including Canada as part of the domestic market.

QuarterSwede
Aug 16, 2010, 10:30 PM
Since you can get a Netflix account due to your US address you should be able to use a proxy to stream it to Canada.

o.neill.kid
Aug 16, 2010, 10:34 PM
I don't think it will work. I would just wait until September, Netflix is suppose to come to PS3 streaming, so its a possibility it may come to the iPhone/iPad.

QuarterSwede
Aug 16, 2010, 10:40 PM
It will. Those in the military in other countries have been doing this for a while even though the bases IP addresses aren't US. A solution known to work is Hot Spot Shield (http://www.hotspotshield.com/)

joschlichting
Aug 16, 2010, 10:52 PM
Have to add to my post that I was trying out Netflix on a wireless network not Wifi, so I was clear to see that I wasn't logging in from the US.

Scott6666
Aug 17, 2010, 12:47 AM
Just tried in France. Got page saying not available outside the US

stuffradio
Aug 26, 2010, 10:30 AM
Netflix is coming to Canada in the next couple months.

Kobra
Aug 26, 2010, 10:42 AM
It works if you use a VPN service. I'm using 12vpn.com from my place in Sweden...

leons
Aug 26, 2010, 11:45 AM
What he said. And a high recommendation for 12vpn.com. Works flawlessly and great price.

ibookster
Sep 19, 2010, 06:30 AM
I have used the Netflix app for both iPad and iPhone here in Denmark for a long time. It is pretty easy to unblock Netflix in Europe. I have written a guide with a how to here: http://thomasfals.com/how-to-use-netflix-on-the-ipad-from-outside-the-us/