Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wjlafrance

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
Madison, WI
Hey guys. I'm not even sure what forum this bastardization project goes in, but I'm starting with a MacBook so this seems as good a place as any.

On Wednesday, I'm buying a MacBook (the brand new one, or so I'm told) that has been water damaged. I'm only paying $70 so if there's one working component (and I'm sure the LCD is unaffected), I'll have made my money back.

My plans for this machine is to take the logic board out and put it into a Sawtooth case for use as a wannabe Mac Pro. I've got a bunch of general questions to toss around:

- How difficult will the logic board be to mount? I figure I'll need to fabricate my own mounts and whatnot?

- Is there a reasonable way to run this off of a normal Sawtooth power supply, or am I better off running a MagSafe adapter into the back of the case? Having a battery in a desktop will be nice.

- Are MacBooks likely to think something fishy is up if I hook a 3.5 inch SATA drive up? I'm pretty sure it should work but it'll definitely be a bit different.

- What's the best way to upgrade graphics? Is this even possible?

More to come.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
- Is there a reasonable way to run this off of a normal Sawtooth power supply, or am I better off running a MagSafe adapter into the back of the case? Having a battery in a desktop will be nice.

I'd suggest using the MagSafe.

- Are MacBooks likely to think something fishy is up if I hook a 3.5 inch SATA drive up? I'm pretty sure it should work but it'll definitely be a bit different.

No, they are all SATA compliant and will work the same.

- What's the best way to upgrade graphics? Is this even possible?

It is not possible to upgrade the graphics in a Macbook.

wjlafrance

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
Madison, WI
I'd suggest using the MagSafe.

No, they are all SATA compliant and will work the same.

It is not possible to upgrade the graphics in a Macbook.

It sounds like you've put some thought into it. "Impossible" is relative, but I'll take your word for it, and thanks.

Also, is it possible to use desktop DDR3 on a MacBook, by replacing the banks with normal DDR3 banks, or would I have to do extensive rewiring?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
It sounds like you've put some thought into it. "Impossible" is relative, but I'll take your word for it, and thanks.

Also, is it possible to use desktop DDR3 on a MacBook, by replacing the banks with normal DDR3 banks, or would I have to do extensive rewiring?

Desktop ram cannot be used in a Macbook. Both the desktop ram and GPU replacement is in the very hard to near impossible range. They can be done, but only by a robot or a top notch micro-surgeon.

wjlafrance

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
Madison, WI
Alright. What kind of "slots" do I have to work with? Any way I can add additional SATA ports, or am I stuck with just the two?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I don't really know how SATA splitters work. But it could be something that might work. You have one 2.5" slot and one optical drive slot. To use a bigger drive in these slots you'll have to get a SATA extension cable. The ram type is 204-pin PC3-8500 (1066 MHz) DDR3 SO-DIMM, make sure you get the smaller laptop kind.

wjlafrance

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
Madison, WI
I meant slots like PCI, but then I realized it was a dumb question. Obviously it's a PCI bus with zero slots and all integrated components.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.