PDA

View Full Version : "Switch" seems to be working ...

oliverlubin
Aug 21, 2002, 09:20 AM
searching around for apartments and i find this:

"http://boston.craigslist.org/sys/5275128.html

Trade - PC parts for working iMAC or better

I have LOTS of PC parts. I am going to list them in groups of how I think of them. I would like to trade this whole lot for a working iMac, preferably one that has the horsepower to run OS X. So, here is the list:

1) 200 Mhz pentium chip on MB with 32 megs RAM - working
This comes with a CD of the MB drivers, specs, and manual.

2) 5 gateway Mother Boards. I have gotten one to work. 1 or 2 are bad, and I didn't test the others. They are all for Slot 1, P2/PIII type MB, for the 300-550 Mhz range

3) 366 Celeron porcessor (FFPGA stlye) on a 'Sloket' Slot 1 converter.

4) 233 computer with 64 megs RAM, with case and power supply and video. It boots, but does not have a hard drive so you can just see the BIOS screen.

5) Working 200 Mhz computer running win98 SE with 96 Megs RAM. I think its has a 4 gig drvie. Its an NEC computer, really well designed. 16X cd player, floppy. Maybe sound but I really forget.

6) Working floppy drive.

7) AT power supply - untested

8) ATX power supply (I may have more than one lying around)

9) Box o' IDE/floppy calbes. You can't have them all, but you can grab a handful

10) Gateway flat (not mini-tower) style case with old 200 MHz Motherborad
MB untested.

11) I bought a spool of 1000 ft cat 5 network cable. I have all kinds of lenghts, 10 ft, 30 ft, 100 ft, 150 foot. I could throw in a lot of these working patch cables if you can put them to use.

12) Box o' power cords, again, grab a handful.

13) assorted video, sound, NIC pci cards laying around. I can dig through my room and give you my stash.

14) Drawer o' Mice, grab a few.

15) ps/2 and serial keyboards, you can have a few

16) Extra case fans for EXTRA cooling. Big 80mm ones and smaller ones. handful o' these.

17) assorted Dead Hard Drives (only if you REALLY want them)

18) I would imagine I am forgetting some of my other treasures, so there should be some surprises not mentioned here. =)

I'd like a working iMac or better for this lot. Ellen Feiss really did it for me and I am 'switching' on to bigger and better things."

gbojim
Aug 21, 2002, 10:16 AM
...Ellen Feiss really did it for me...

This is an interesting comment. I am around a lot of college students with the part time teaching I do, and I personally know over a dozen freshmen who purchased Macs because of the Ellen ad.

saabmp3
Aug 21, 2002, 10:46 AM
Trust me, the Switch campagn is working! I know lots and lots of going to be freshman who are getting TiBooks or iBooks as their primary computers, not PC's. The best part about all of this is that most of these people are even going around the schools reccomendations of having PC notebooks.

BEN

firewire2001
Aug 21, 2002, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by oliverlubin
searching around for apartments and i find this:

"http://boston.craigslist.org/sys/5275128.html

Trade - PC parts for working iMAC or better

I have LOTS of PC parts. I am going to list them in groups of how I think of them. I would like to trade this whole lot for a working iMac, preferably one that has the horsepower to run OS X. So, here is the list:

1) 200 Mhz pentium chip on MB with 32 megs RAM - working
This comes with a CD of the MB drivers, specs, and manual.

2) 5 gateway Mother Boards. I have gotten one to work. 1 or 2 are bad, and I didn't test the others. They are all for Slot 1, P2/PIII type MB, for the 300-550 Mhz range

3) 366 Celeron porcessor (FFPGA stlye) on a 'Sloket' Slot 1 converter.

4) 233 computer with 64 megs RAM, with case and power supply and video. It boots, but does not have a hard drive so you can just see the BIOS screen.

5) Working 200 Mhz computer running win98 SE with 96 Megs RAM. I think its has a 4 gig drvie. Its an NEC computer, really well designed. 16X cd player, floppy. Maybe sound but I really forget.

6) Working floppy drive.

7) AT power supply - untested

8) ATX power supply (I may have more than one lying around)

9) Box o' IDE/floppy calbes. You can't have them all, but you can grab a handful

10) Gateway flat (not mini-tower) style case with old 200 MHz Motherborad
MB untested.

11) I bought a spool of 1000 ft cat 5 network cable. I have all kinds of lenghts, 10 ft, 30 ft, 100 ft, 150 foot. I could throw in a lot of these working patch cables if you can put them to use.

12) Box o' power cords, again, grab a handful.

13) assorted video, sound, NIC pci cards laying around. I can dig through my room and give you my stash.

14) Drawer o' Mice, grab a few.

15) ps/2 and serial keyboards, you can have a few

16) Extra case fans for EXTRA cooling. Big 80mm ones and smaller ones. handful o' these.

17) assorted Dead Hard Drives (only if you REALLY want them)

18) I would imagine I am forgetting some of my other treasures, so there should be some surprises not mentioned here. =)

I'd like a working iMac or better for this lot. Ellen Feiss really did it for me and I am 'switching' on to bigger and better things."

heh... no hard feelings dude, but that ooks like its worth about 300 bucks.. max.

this isnt the right place to post this, if your looking to get a response at macrumors.. next time put it in sale/trade section...

Dignan
Aug 21, 2002, 12:58 PM
when i ask, none of my friends have never even heard of the switch ads....so, i guess it all depends. I bet the celebrity ones make more of an impact.

edesignuk
Aug 21, 2002, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by firewire2001

this isnt the right place to post this, if your looking to get a response at macrumors.. next time put it in sale/trade section...
His not trying to sell it all, it's not even his, he just found it looking for apartments...didn't you read his post :rolleyes:

Macmaniac
Aug 21, 2002, 04:55 PM
I'm glad to see somone that desperate for a mac, its about time those PC fools relized thier mistakes;)
Rock on Ellen Fiess:)

(Steals Verbose's pants);)

krossfyter
Aug 21, 2002, 05:19 PM
okay so the market share just climbed up 4 points...right? no? what?

Shrek
Aug 21, 2002, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Dignan
when i ask, none of my friends have never even heard of the switch ads....so, i guess it all depends. I bet the celebrity ones make more of an impact.

Funny. My friends haven't either. As it turns out, they don't watch much TV. They'd rather be on their computers, and their not Mac users either, but I have pretty much convinced them to buy one. I think their waiting on me to get one first, though. Ah well.